Saturday, January 3, 2009

*grumble grumble*

This morning I was sitting in the greenroom at the theater waiting for the show to start.  A friendly discussion was being had about the victory of the Utes last night in Louisiana.  The conversation then turned to the salaries of college football coaches, thus leading to a discussion of University President pay and the discrepancies between the two (coaches make more than presidents) at which point someone in the room, who will remain unnamed, said, and I quote:

"Coaches are worth more than presidents."

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I almost left the room.  Just because they're paid more DOES NOT mean they're worth more. People always talk about having family, religion, education etc. as priorities, but look at where America spends its money - who gets paid the most - and you'll see where its priorities really lie. 

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good live sporting event as much as the next guy, but the ridiculous, and I mean ridiculous amount of money, time, energy, attention etc. etc. etc. that go into athletics - from high school on up - makes me want to move to a desert island.  And if you think I'm exaggerating, you don't know me.  The way we idolize (and I pick that word for a reason) sports in this country tops my list of pet peeves.  I really don't even have the energy at this moment to go into it.  

*sigh*  I feel better.  Anyone up for canasta?

3 comments:

Tara said...

Canasta. Now there's good clean fun.

Leah said...

We had this same convo with some friends during the Jazz/Lakers game. I mean, 14 million a year!? Don't even get me started.

Miss B said...

remember that time we were in church and someone said from the pulpit "even though mother theresa wasn't a member she was still a pretty good person"? **gasp**