Thursday, January 27, 2011

changing life

Pursue dreams - check
Move to California - check
Get rich and famous and do lots of good things to make the world a better place - pending...

I've been in LA for almost a month now and I think my brain is still catching on to the fact that I've moved here. I mean, I realize I'm here. I'm doing things and meeting people, and taking steps and all that, but I don't know if my brain fully comprehends that I've moved here. Ya know? If I had my own apartment I'd be sleeping on an air mattress and using constructible metal grates as shelving. It's a bit different from my pillow-top mattress and kitchen table back in Salt Lake. It's just weird for me to think that I can start building a life out here. Buying a bed, and finding a permanent-ish living arrangement, and changing my driver's license, and getting to a first-name basis with the local baker. It just hasn't really sunk in yet. But, when I moved I told myself I'd give it 5 years. So, for better or worse I'm in LA for the next 5 years at least. And, though it may be a good idea to get an actual library card, and perhaps transfer my gym membership, I don't know that I'll be picking up paint swatches anytime soon.

On a semi-related, somewhat somber note - (I apologize, I'm not generally a somber person, so I know this is a major downer for everyone) I'm feeling a little lonely out here in LA. Though I'm pretty good at making friends, I think what most people don't realize is that I'm really good at making friends with a specific kind of person. Generally I don't find those people in school classes, or at church, or wherever else people generally accumulate friends. I think it took almost 25 years to build the kind of friendships and friend networks that I had living back in the SLC. "Finally!" I thought. "This is what everyone's talking about!" And then what do I do? Move 2 states away where I know all of 3 people. *sigh* But this time around I think I've got a few things figured out that I didn't before. And I'm sure budding friendships are around every corner...until then I've got Natty and her bird. *lonely sigh*

Perhaps it's time for a trip to the Glendale branch of the Hale family...

2 comments:

Leah said...

Oh, friend! I pine for you! When we moved and I was so lonely, I made it a point to invite people to dinner until I found a bosom buddy. I took about a dozen people, but I found one after much praying and many delicious meals. It doesn't have to be a full meal! Invite a couple of people over once a week for garbage cereal and a cartoon. And keep praying!

Molly Hickcox said...

Hang in there friend. You will have new besties before you know...it just may take a little time. Love ya :)