Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Robert Stone's Wife

So much to write about today, hope you're all in for an entertaining ride...

Something I forgot to mention from yesterday - Our speaker has laryngitis which means I almost had to jump up and do the presentation yesterday...almost. I was scared out of my little pressed suit pants, but very excited for the opportunity, however she made it through, so I guess I'll just have to wait...

I think my company needs to sponsor a new game-show called "Spot the Attendee." Whenever we see a group of people accoutered with wheelchairs, walkers, and oxygen tanks we immediately think "They're some of our attendees." The sad part is, we're usually right.

I've come to the conclusion that, in general, people know what they're talking about when at work. I hate it when I give an instruction such as "We only need this part" or "Fill this out" or "This one is fine" or "No, you don't need that/one" and people say "Are you sure?" Of course I'm sure, that's why I said it. I've been doing this for a while now and I know what I'm doing. I know what I need from you and what you need from me. Questioning that only aggravates me.

Now is the time in my week when I'd like to elaborate on my team and its dynamics. We're fairly certain that our manager has a slight crush on our speaker. This is understandable since our speaker is the walking personification of Barbie. However it's slightly awkward because the manager is married. Now, nothing inappropriate is going on, in fact everything that is happening is more just entertaining for us. He rather dotes on her. The fact that she's high maintenance makes their relationship rather like that of Hyacinth and her husband in Keeping Up Appearances though our speaker isn't nearly that obnoxious. We have two cars because of our numbers. They ride in one car while Whitney, Sam, and I ride in the other. As we were leaving this morning Sam made the comment that our manager was driving Miss Daisy. It was so funny because it was so true. Our manager is one of those uptight people who is detail oriented - almost to a fault. He was instructing Whitney earlier today on the finer points of cutting paper. He's also terrible with directions and has had to pull over to the side of the rode about 4 times in the past couple of days while driving around to gain his bearings and let us know what's going on...though we don't really care.

Sam is one of my new favorite people. He's a large Tongan man. He played professional football in Europe for a couple of years and in the US for a total of 3 days. He used to be a cop in Dallas and now works with us. He could break you in half if he so desired, but really he's just a big teddy bear. Plus he's hilarious. He's so chill and we have a great time pimpin' it out in the mini-van.

Why anyone would choose to go by the name 'Girt' is beyond me. It sounds far too much like 'girth' for comfort.

Hands-free Marge came to our dinner session. Fanny pack and all.

We just pulled up to the hotel we'll be staying at for the next three days. It's literally right across the street from the beach. There's a walkway from our hotel, over the road, to the beach - fantastic. Whitney and I are going to watch the sunrise tomorrow.

No comments: