Thursday, July 10, 2008

Say What?

For one of my ESL classes we had to do a group presentation.  Our group did a presentation on idioms and slang and their importance/use in language, and some ideas about how to teach idioms.  Here's a little scenario that Michelle - a first grade teacher - put together as our opener.  I thought it was rather clever.

An Idiomatic Tale of Two Bachelors

1: What's shakin'?
2: Oh man, I've got a doozy.  I asked Melissa to tie the know.
1: Are you pulling my leg?
2: I'm not joshing you, and she's the spitting image of Audrey Hepburn.
1: Hot dog, that's over the top!
2: Yeah, I had to eighty-six Brittany.  She was always chewing me out, said I wasn't playing with a full deck.
1: C'mon, you were head over heels for her!
2: Naw - she's used to living high on the hog, and you know that since I've hit the books my nest egg has gone to hell in a handbasket.
1: Well, break a leg buddy.
2: What?  You got a chip on your shoulder?
1: It's just that...
2: Stop beating around the bush and spit it out.  Cat got your tongue?
1: It's just that I smell something fishy.  i know you're chomping at the bit, but I think you should hold your horses.
2: Com again?
1: Keep your shirt on, man.  I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but she's a loose cannon.  She'll pull a fast one on you, and you're turning a blind eye.
2: But I"m on cloud nine.  You think maybe I shouldn't wear my heart on my sleeve?
1: Yeah, because with her, still waters run deep, and you can't always judge  book by its cover.
2: I guess we're on the same page.  it's not like I'm in a race against the clock.
1: Yeah, time is on your side.  You know, girls like her are a dime a dozen, and you, man, are the cat's pajamas.
2: Wow, I really dodged a bullet this time.  Thanks for keeping an eye on me.
1: We could talk about your girlfriends 'til the cows come home, but it's like beating a dead horse.  Let's pig out instead.
2: Then I've gotta hit the sack.  Gonna put my nose to the grindstone tomorrow.
1: You crack me up - the way you lose your head over a pretty face.

7 comments:

Leah said...

Your blog always makes me bust a gut!

Tara said...

I love it! I'm going to pass this post on to my English teacher friends. And look--something useful and fun from one of your classes! Its amazing.

Anonymous said...

Your just as I remember Greg. Very random and funny. It's fun to see what your up to.

Anonymous said...

Imagine what would've happened if Amelia Bedelia was in your class. Uh oh! ;-D

I'm Batman said...

that went over my head...

kim and ned said...

I'm glad to see someone wears a cape around here. Way to go, Greg.

I suppose Joe does as well since he's batman.

Ned does too, but its kinda more like a sock he tucks in his shirt.

Leah said...

Dear Greg, are you dead? My life is dull. Please write. Love, Leah.