Thursday, August 27, 2009

The life of an eggplant...or an egghead...

So, aside from family reunions, crime show sprees on cable, and drawn blood in the last three shows at Hale Theater (none of it mine - knock on wood), there hasn't been much going on since school go out. I spent too much money on back-to-school clothes, and not enough time trying to become a better teacher, but such is life.

School is now back in and the first week is past (173 days to go!) And we kick-started it with flair. I got a honeymoon period of about 3 hours with my class this year. I've got some real winners. My class consists of 5 white kids, 1 Polynesian, 1 Vietnamese, and 21 Latinos (2 Carloses and a Jesus). I think it's awesome. Should be an interesting year.

Evidence - beginning of the year, getting-to-know-you surveys about favorite things:

color - red
food - carrot
person - brother
place - park
animal - dog
school subject - math
article of clothing - recess
time of day - lunch
game - Hulk Unlimited Destination xbox live.

subject in school - riteing (does anyone else see the irony here?)

movie - August Rush (surprising, but awesome)

I got lots of Michael Jackson and The three Little Pigs as answers to various questions. I'm not sure what that means.

Anywho, school is back in session, the children have brought their A-games, luckily so have I. It seems to be going well so far. I'm excited to see how many of my kid's favorite animal will be a tarantula when we get to that part of the curriculum, and I'm excited for the weather to cool down as our school has no A/C.

3 comments:

Kasi French said...

One ~ did the child really capatilize Hulk Unlimited Desitation but not xbox live? Two ~ did you clap and teach? Why is there no report on the clapping and the teaching? I meant to ask tonight but you were too far away!

Leah said...

Everyone knows the clothes make the man. Therefore, good clothes = good teacher. Let's face it, you could be naked and still be a good teacher. Um. Maybe I should think these things through before I type them...

Tara said...

I'm just pleased you've started blogging again. And that "spending too much money" thing? I totally hear you. But oh how I love my red pants and vans...