Monday, September 22, 2008

High on Life

DOL geography question:

What is the name given to the group of five large lakes in the northern part of the United States?

I indicate the lakes on a map and ask, “What are those lakes called?”

Students:
Bear Lake?
The Indian Ocean?
Asia!

Sometimes I have my students use individual white boards so they stay engaged in the lesson. Today I noticed one young man sniffing his marker as he walked back to his seat. I dunno…maybe it’ll help.

Did you know I'm part of a club?  That's right, a club.  The "Say Uncle" Club, to be precise.  It's very elite.  Only 1/3 of the students in my class made it in.  I'm not sure about the nature, or mission of the club, it's all very mysterious.  All I know is that the secret phrase is "say uncle." ...woops, I think that was supposed to be a secret.

I'm always entertained when I have to say, "Get your hand out of there."

2 comments:

Tara said...

And you'd think it gets better when they're older? Only a bit. I have told students to keep their hands to themselves on an almost daily basis this year. And on our first test, I had a student tell me that Europe and Asia together are often called England.

JJ said...

Um...your last line is definitely the funniest thing I've heard/read all day.