Monday, September 29, 2008

Am I write?

Me: What does kindness have to do with friendship?
Student: Bananas?!

I went to a writing workshop where the presenter said something interesting - go figure.  He pointed out that a lot of times teachers receive notes or pictures from their children, but never write back to them.  So I started to.  My little attitude problem noticed that I had written a note back to a student, so she promptly wrote one to me.  This was on the cover:


The contents were as follows:

"Dear Mr. B,
I do think you are in love how old are you.  and you're sometimes mean could you be a lot eacy on us?  oh on sometimes you're funny when you dance it Funny when you do have a nice day By.

Sweet Mother of Mary*"

I think I'm going to start a class post office so my students can write notes to me and to each other.  This should prove HIGHLY entertaining.

As a teacher, one takes every available opportunity for an ego boost. Example: I made up an activity where the kids had to use a dictionary and thesaurus. Question 5 said, "Complete this sentence using a fun word: "Mr. B is such a (an) _______ teacher." (PS a "fun" word is something other than good, bad, mean, nice, etc.) Words the kids found to describe me:

honorable
excellent
fair
amusing
clever
skillful
kind
glad

I have some interesting aspiring authors in my class. A sampling:

mydogisHappyall the
timeHecachestheBallallthethe
HeisLaZYaNdMydog
WakeupallthetiMe
ButSoMtiMeMydogruNsaway
aNdMYdogRuNsfastaNdI
caNt cotchHiM theNHe
gettierd. INSidtheHouseHe
RuNSarouNdHeBrakes stuf
aNdMYMoMgetsMad

And the future poet laureat of the United States (formatting of text has been preserved from the original.):

I like to Play video games
    and i playing outside
        and Inside
            and play Games

*names have been changed.

2 comments:

Charisse Baxter said...

This is awesome. (It actually took me a minute to get the "I eye", but the illustrations are terrific. Love the idea of writing notes back!

Post Office has always been a fun activity. Or so I've been told.

Tara said...

Oh my. Oh my oh my oh my... FUNNY. That poem? I'm laughing. Right now.