Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Teacher's Rant

I can't count the number of times I couldn't count the number of times I've had to repeat instructions to my class - and we've only been in school two weeks.  I guess I should get used to it.  They're 25 8/9-yr.-olds.  Their attention is easily pulled away from the current most important figure in their lives aside from their parents - namely me.  Having a constantly engaging environment is hard - not unattainable - just hard.  And perhaps not attainable for me at this moment.  One day, perhaps - and I hope that day arrives.  Right now I think God is trying to teach me a lesson.  It's as if He's saying, "See how aggravating it is when I have to repeat something?!  Can't you just do it the first time I say it?"  I guess I'm a little slow to learn myself.

But I digress.  The real reason of my rant is the following:  I get that 8-yr-olds have trouble paying attention for an extended period of time, or even for a limited period of time.  When I'm in a group of adults and an instructor has to repeat something, that's a little annoying.  When that group of adults is composed entirely of educators it's downright inexcusable.  How can we possibly complain about our kids not paying attention if we can't to do it ourselves?!  

I was in an ESL class this afternoon and just going over the syllabus our poor instructor had to repeat things, not just once, but several times.  Granted, she doesn't have the best presentational skills and she was perhaps a bit flustered/frustrated with all of us barely-interested teachers.  Even so, If the teacher explains something, pay attention!  It's not that hard!

And another thing - in education "they" are always talking about making one's classroom an engaging environment.  The large majority of people on Earth are not auditory learners so giving a lecture is probably the least effective way there is to teach.  The powers that be want us to make lessons engaging and fun - that way kids learn.  And yet when one peers into higher education - and especially post-secondary education - everyone seems to have missed that memo.  Don't talk at me!  And can someone find a way to help me learn besides making me read weighty and verbose documents full of superfluous language and meaningless jargon?  Some of the stuff you're trying to teach me is interesting, but it's presented so poorly that I don't care!  Please, take a class on making your classes engaging!  It can be done, I promise!

*sigh* Ok, I feel better.  Thanks for tuning in.

4 comments:

Arianne said...

If you want to see an inspiring documentary about teaching you should watch The Hobart Shakespeareans. It's about a teacher in Los Angelos...and he is A.MAZ.ING. Seriously. After watching that I wanted to be a teacher--he does the coolest stuff with his classes...and they are in fourth grade and read Shakespeare. So cool.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on repeating ones self.... I'm doing it constantly with my own kids but they are 5 and 4. How do we ever surpass this predicament.... will we ever?

All I can say is enjoy life as you live it.... through all the repeats even. :)

Charisse Baxter said...

I gotta say, though, now that you have read all those weighty documents you are fully qualified to use words like "verbose", "superfluous", and "jargon" (correctly) - which makes me very happy. Happy happy happy!

Also: YES. Good grief, YES.

Unknown said...

THIS was EXACTLY what i hated about my education classes at SUU. They were like, NEVER DO POWER POINTS (for example) EVERYDAY!!! But guess how they were teaching, , , WITH FREAKING POWERPOINTS EVERYDAY!!!

WHAT. EVER.