Thursday, April 9, 2009

10 years

Every now and again in life my thoughts turn to the future. (And inevitably I hear "Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, the future's not ours to see, que sera sera..." somewhere in the back of my head, but that doesn't stop me from thinking about it.) A question concerning the future recently caught my eye and started the old gears turning once more, namely: "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" It wasn't directed toward me, but it got me thinking nonetheless. Where will I be in 10 years?

I think it's important to take stock of the present before trying to predict the future. Right now I'm glaringly single, moderately attractive, and ridiculously happy. During the day I'm gainfully employed teaching children how to multiply - a job I love, and at night I get paid to make a fool of myself on stage - which I also love. Basically I've been blessed with a life I'm not sure I deserve, but I'm not complaining.

Now about the future...

Realistically: I'll be married to a wonderful woman who still makes me laugh, with three or four children who drive me crazy for all the right reasons. I'll still be working in education, but not necessarily in the classroom. Maybe a traveling advocate for boys' literacy, or a presenter for educational program X...or program Y, I'm not picky. I'll have a few children's books, and a youth fiction novel or two under my belt (though whether they'll be successful is anyone's guess). I'll still get good character roles in local theater productions, and every now and again a good lead. I'll have a house with a swing set, a flower bed, and a small vegetable garden. I'll probably still be in Utah and I have no problem with that whatsoever. I will also be host to the annual Barnett Family Easter Eggstravanza complete with relay races, candy, and one raw egg. And I'll still be ridiculously happy.

Ideally: Not much different from the reality I envision. The house may be bigger - one with a wrap-around porch and a backyard with a fountain. I'd drive a Smart Car. I'd be the host of the resurrected "Reading Rainbow" series - only this time the opening song will be a re-mix of the original, and I will never have been part of the cast of any Star Trek spin-off. My books will have been wildly successful - we're talking Caldecott, Newberry, Nobel Prize for Children's Literature (they'll make up that category just for my stories) and some, if not most...or even all, will have been made into lucrative movies starring everyone from James McAvoy to Julie Andrews (I like the Brits.).

In a world with infinite possibilities: By day I'll host a daytime talk show to rival Ellen DeGeneres, and go on a world-wide quest for the perfect brownie. By night I'd be a near-invincible crime-fighting superhero. And I would have a cape.

Worst-case scenario: I'll be 100 lbs. heavier with no hair left, and still single. I'll have been ostracized from the local theater community and fired from my job on trumped-up charges about something inane. I'll work for a telemarketing firm, and at night I'll watch Tivo'd reruns of the Jane Pauly show while eating second-rate vanilla frosting from a canister without the aide of a utensil. I'll also own a cat.

The real reality is I don't know where I'll be in 10 years. If you'd told me 10 years ago I'd be where I am now, I probably would have laughed. But if there's something I've learned it's that no matter where life takes me I can be happy because happiness, above all else, is a choice. And regardless of my career as an author, whether or not I land my dream role, how many children are in my classroom, or how my Sunday pan of brownies turns out, my own happiness is up to me.

So how about you? Where will you be 10 years down the road?

7 comments:

Launi said...

love it, greg! my reason to be happy this morning: i'm friends with you! :)

I'm Batman said...

I really thought you were about to say "I teach children how to multiply and replenish." I found the trumped up charge....Great post though, I'll copy the general format and post on my blog tomorrow morning while I'm in my stupid class.

Tara said...

I can't wait to see where you are in 10 years. And I adore that your "realistic" kept striking me as the ideal and then I realized that this is Greg we're talking about so of course it would be that way.

Life is good. As are you.

Leah said...

this has also been on my mind as my *gasp* ten year reunion is in a couple of months. In HS when asked the question, I merely said, "No matter where I'll be, I'll be hott." And look how true. That answer still stands.

Erin Brady said...

I will have achieved baking the perfect brownie. I'll call you in ten years and give you the recipe. I made one the other day that was decadent; it was a raspberry cheesecake brownie.

LBBlum said...

funny you should mention this topic- I just hit "mid-life" in my mind... 37 years old.

Up to this point- I've kinda been on auto-pilot... doing the set course.. college- marriage- raising kids..and it has been all bliss and happiness..but now..my youngest just started school full time and I find myself wondering again, "what do I want to be when I grow up?" I've got to get a
J-O-B.

Cy Wood said...

It's Cy. I love this blog. And it makes me think too.

By the by, it's Tivo, with an "i"

And I think your brownies are perfect already!