Friday, May 22, 2009

You do it too.

Pooping, I mean.

Speaking of Zac Efron, I think it's sometimes odd how much adults, despite claims to the contrary, are really just bigger versions of kids. I'm talking in terms of maturity levels.

At school all day long I hear how something someone else has is better. Kids want things, and don't want things, and the things they want aren't necessarily even things they want, they just want them because they don't have them. And the things they don't want may even be things they actually want, but they don't want them because other people say they shouldn't.

Today we had a half-day work day and for part of that the 3rd grade team met with the 4th grade team and discussed class lists for next year. I was amazed at how whiny the 4th grade teachers were. "Are you sure I have all the gifted kids I should?" "I've got 6 low kids, and they only have 4." "I have too many behavior problems." "I had tough kids this year, can you give me a break next year?" "I'm so glad you didn't give me that kid."

I understand that a little...ventilation is needed when dealing with our profession, but this was outright whining. For crying out loud, you're a teacher! Grow a pair! Suck it up and do your job. If you don't want to deal with behavior problems, or struggling learners, or kids who might bug you, then you are in the wrong profession, and definitely at the wrong school. Anyone can teach smart, well-behaved kids. It takes a committed educator to deal with the less-than-savory youngsters, so if you're going to whine, go get a cubicle job - that way no one has to listen to you.

On a lighter note, I got pie this week. :)

6 comments:

The Hatch Family said...

Oh, Can I publish this. You hit it perfectly!!!:)

Tara said...

"Speaking of Zac Efron"

Bwa ha ha ha!!

Ah, we do get whiny--especially this time of year. Give them a break. Especially on Fridays in May, kids suck..

richbarn said...

YOU GO GREG!!!!

Charisse Baxter said...

I bow before you, with solemnity and adulation. Also, that "fire of righteous indignation" in your eye really turns me on. Seriously.

Tammy Barnett said...

Greg, you are awesome! Have I told you lately that you are awesome!!

Julie Christensen said...

Are we playing pin the tail on the donkey because you hit it right on the...!