Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Last 3 Days

WARNING: This post will probably not be very entertaining for most people. Its purpose is to inform those that might be interested about what I've been up to since moving to LA - i.e. the last 3 days. And it's kind of long, so...there's that...

HOUSING

I potentially have a place to live. It's looking pretty good. A friend of a friend is looking at a place in Chinatown with a guy from his ward. 3-bedroom condo. Cheap rent. Mormon roommates. It's a little out of the way from where I'd ultimately like to be, but again - cheap rent. And it's better than living in a mobile home with Ms. Italy (Who doesn't have the most creative name for a transsexual, AND who I just discovered no longer has a listing on Craigslist, so I can only assume she found a taker.) Plus, a friend of mine is *most likely* moving down here in a few weeks and we'll be getting bunk beds, making rent even cheaper! I feel like I'm back in college... Until the Chinatown place comes through I'm living in El Segundo - a quaint Mayberry-ish town south of LAX - with a lady from my Grandpa's old ward. She's extremely nice, rather fuss-budgety, likes rugs, wears a moo moo, and is something of a clutter collector. I have a king sized bed, my own TV, heat lamps in the ceiling of the bathroom, a shelf in the fridge, and free-reign of whatever bikes I find in the garage. I might actually be sad to move to Chinatown in a couple of weeks.

WORK

I went to Central Casting - which is the main service in LA for providing background artists AKA extras. After standing in several lines for nearly two and a half hours, I am now registered to work as an extra. I call the workline and pick which jobs I might be suited for and go from there. I checked it out this morning just to get an idea of how it worked and twice I had to move immediately to the next job because the AD (assistant director) who left the message used the phrase "very very attractive." I wonder if I'll start to develop a complex after a while. And I wonder what kind of person says "Oh yeah, that's definitely me." But I guess if you are one of those chiseled beautiful people you kind of have to have an attitude bordering on arrogance if you're going to make it in this business eh? More on that as things develop.

I also signed all the paperwork with an agent, so I'm set there. I was a little concerned upon coming down here that that might not happen because it was sort of only loosely implied that I would be with the agency when I visited a few weeks ago. I've left emails and messages since then with no result - much to my chagrin. So I was in the neighborhood in my travels and decided to stop in. Good thing too. I signed on the line and my soul is now owned by Whitaker Entertainment. Let's hope that's as good a thing as I think it is. She - my agent who will henceforth be known as Dotty - says it's gonna be an uphill battle because I don't have lots of experience - which I knew coming in. I asked about pilot season and she said that basically because of my lack of experience, I don't have a chance this time around. I guess we'll see. She also asked what sorts of things I'm willing to do. Meaning - I'm mormon, so what are my boundaries? She said, "I mean, they obviously aren't going to ask you to take your shirt off..." see what I mean about getting a complex? I have a little more sympathy for those psychotic drug addicts Hollywood tends to produce. But only a little. I'm pretty level-headed and have a healthy sense of self awareness, so it's all good.

And since I brought it up, and I know you're now all dying to know - my boundaries are pretty loose. Meaning pretty much anything you'd see on network television I'd be ok doing. I'm not going to compromise myself, but as an actor you have to accept those kinds of things. I don't think it's any different than under-cover cops having to drink and smoke, or CIA agents having to do shady things. It's not not me involved in those things, it's a character I'm playing. And that's kind of where I stand. But don't worry, I'm definitely going to try to steer clear of anything too much in the gray area. I'd love to do family films and educational TV for my entire career. But if I end up as some sociopathic killer on Criminal Minds - so be it. And for those judgy Mormons out there who gasp in horror at the thought of me endorsing something like alcohol or pre-marital sex, just remember someone has to play Fontaine in Les Mis, Potiphar's wife in Joseph ATATDC, and Judas Iscariot in "The Lamb of God." I see no difference.

As a way to pay the rent until I'm larger than life (figuratively speaking, of course, I exercise daily) I had looked into substitute teaching with the LA unified school district, but to no avail. They're not hiring subs. However, it looks like there are numerous, i.e. 30-ish, smaller school districts in the area, so I'll be checking into that this coming week to see what I can accomplish there. I'd almost rather do that because subbing pays upwards of $150 a day depending on the district, and being an extra only pays $64 for an 8-hour workday. That's minimum wage.

OTHER STUFF

Since I'd rather not wait for things to happen - and because I'm a firm believer in making your life what you want it to be rather than letting life happen to you - and because I personally believe that God is more willing to help out when we put in a concerted effort first - I've got some other things going to help speed up the process. I'm in an acting class on Tuesdays with this guy. His students apparently book stuff (industry terminology meaning "get jobs") all the time - of course, he wouldn't tell me they didn't or I wouldn't take his class, nevertheless... He's a super nice guy and has been around for a while and is on a first-name basis with lots of big wigs (which is still a bit disconcerting at times) and I sat in on a couple of classes when I was down here and they seem like good times to me. Any advantage is, in the end, an advantage.

There's also a workshop I will be attending from time to time as I can. Steve Nave is the director - not that that should mean anything to you, that's just his name - and brings in Casting Directors, Producers, Agents, Managers, Directors etc. to facilitate and students of the workshop often book with these people. It's probably the best way to get into the business - networking with Casting Directors. Now I just need to figure out exactly how to do that. Suggestions?

So, that's pretty much it for now. I have my Disneyland Annual Passport - which I used last night to celebrate my my wearing of the big boy pants. I wandered around the park and enjoyed the atmosphere, then ended with fireworks and a fresh, hot churro. I'm going to get a library card as soon as I can; I'm thinking about buying a scooter, but I'm holding off until I'm more established in my living circumstance; I'm waiting to hear back from the USF, and the church's New Testament project for possible acting work this spring/summer; I know four people in LA and will hopefully know many more soon; I'll be going to a single's ward - though heaven only knows why (I've been in them for almost 10 years, and they haven't done me much good yet); I have a list of 238 movies to watch, and 294 books to read; Trader Joe's is here; the weather's gorgeous, and life is good.

As fate would have it, I kind of fell in love with a girl and then moved to LA (and people say God doesn't have a sense of humor), but for whatever reason I don't really feel worried about it. She's kind of perfect, and she makes me beam. Plus, I figure if I have a career as an actor there will mostly likely be times when we'll have a long distance relationship - should things work out - so maybe this is good practice.

All of the above is completely awesome and I'm seriously living the dream out here. Thanks for all your love and support, and keep the prayers/good vibes/happy thoughts coming my way and I'll be sure to return the favor. We'll make the world a better place yet!

3 comments:

Leah said...

And someone's gotta play Satan.

PS It's 6 degrees outside my house right now. I'm even considering China Town or Ms. Italy if it will thaw me out.

Kasi French said...

I love fate!

Lindsey said...

Love the update - and part of me is jealous of the disney churro, potential scooter, and pot stickers :) Glad things are going well so far!