Friday, January 14, 2011

The next 3 days...

Who knew I'd have new information after 3 more days? Well I do. I'll try to keep this short:

Still no word on the shady Chinatown apartment. But living with Sis. N is a treat.

It appears that very few of the surrounding school districts are hiring subs - and the ones that are require California Certification, so I think I might stick to extra work and private tutoring.

I've called the extra line a few times to get some work, but to no avail. The days I have available to work only have jobs for truckers in their 50's, people with bar tending experience, or drag queens. Who knew being an extra was so type-specific?

Now for the good stuff:

The Casting Director (henceforth known as CD) that came and saw Drowsy hooked me up with what have proved to be very good contacts here in LA. One of them is Steve Nave who runs an acting workshop twice a week. He brings in Directors, CDs, Producers, Agents, Managers etc.

So Monday he brought in a CD named Cathy Henderson (look her up on imdb, she's done a TON of stuff - including UHF!). She does lots of indy stuff and is apparently going to be casting some things for Hulu. Here's what she said, "I really enjoyed your work last night, and it was a pleasure to meet you and find a new actor that I know I can bring in who will make me look like I know what I'm doing! I appreciate your talent."

Wednesday the workshop guest was an agent from the Daniel Hoff agency. I know that doesn't really mean anything to you, and frankly doesn't really mean much to me at this point either, aside from the fact that they're a legit agency. The day after the workshop I got an email from the agent saying, "I'd like you to come in for a meeting." WHAT?! Crazy. That doesn't happen to people. (I know, I just signed with an agent, so I'm trying to figure all of that out...)

THEN - Steve - the guy who runs the workshop - called and said he'd recommended me to a manager he works with. He (Steve) has apparently helped a bunch of people launch careers (Eva Mendez was the one I remember him mentioning), so I guess he's a really good connection to have and he said he wants to help me out.

So, there's my life. Of course one shouldn't count chickens and all that, and really all of this is just talk at this point. But as far as I'm concerned, it's really good talk. And I think I can celebrate a little bit. This doesn't really happen to people. Hopefully I'll be working in no time. Ellen here I come!

4 comments:

Kasi French said...

Cartwheels!

Steve Oliver said...

That is awesome man! We're expecting and hoping for great things for you.

Angie said...

congrats. good stuff.

Clin A. Eaton said...

Greg, this is awesome. When you win an award at Sundance, you need to come and talk to my students. Also, the film Immaculate Misconception that you did was directed by one of my former students, Steve Greene. Hope he did a good job...