Monday, December 17, 2007

Mr. Fix it

Have I expressed how much I love my job? I LOVE MY JOB!!! - seriously

I love it when little people yell, "Mr. B!!!" and coming running at me full speed to give me a hug. One of my ultimate favorites is a tiny kindergartener. This kid is a walking...or rather running...bundle of energy and he always says hi to me.

I especially love it when I get hugs from boys. It's good to see that they know it's ok to show affection - because it is. And that warms my heart. It's really too bad that won't last...

Now if I may toot my own horn for a bit:

It seems that a lot of these kids are seriously lacking in good male role models (not that I'm the best, but the parentage of the west side isn't exactly sterling). There are male teachers at the school, but most of them are either boring and old, absurdly creepy - a-la-Snidely Whiplash, or supremely arrogant. I think it's refreshing for them to have a "normal" guy there. Someone they can relate to. In fact one of the 1st graders remarked, "We finally have a boy substitute!"

Lately I've become sort of an emotional fix-it man around the school. "Let me clarify this" (if you can name the movie that comes from I'll give you 10 points and probably a cookie.)

Last week I was recruited by the sixth grade to play the piano for their sing-along Christmas program. So much fun. Especially since at the beginning of one song a girl yells, "Hit it piano man!"

At the end of last week two sixth grade boys were having really tough days. Tough enough to reduce them to tears. I was recruited to talk it out with them and figure out what's going on. I'm happy to report that their both doing fine.

Friday my boss told me that I would be working with a kindergartener who is a selective mute. That means that he'll talk at home, but when he gets to school he completely shuts down. I met him today - cute kid. He's smart, just not progressing very well because he won't talk. So over the next several months we're going to see if we can establish a relationship where he'll feel comfortable talking at school, and thus progress. (As a side-note his teacher looks like Zooey Deschanel)

Today I had to carry a kidnergartener in from recess for general impishness and disorderly behavior. It wasn't easy. He lost both of his shoes in the process.

Also today, I was talking to my boss about a young man who I constantly see in the Alternative Classroom (that's where you go when you're being bad in class...or at recess...or if you don't bribe Mr. B with cookies on a consistent basis). He's a spunky little first grader who has a mischievous glint in his eye. So, I'm going to spend some time with him every day teaching him appropriate behavior - much to the relief of his harangued teacher. Apparently his mom has been in tears a number of times because she doesn't know what to do with him. His teacher described him to me as "naughty." Should be an adventure. P to the S he was home-schooled in kindergarten and thus doesn't posses a vast knowledge of appropriate social skills - is anyone surprised?

On top of that I'm working with the ESL (English as a Second Language) kids, I'm adored by the kindergarten, the 1st grade, the 2nd grade (who I've impressed with my mad soccer ball kicking skills), the 3rd grade (because I'm part of the 3rd grade posse), the 6th grade (from whom I'm constantly getting requests for nicknames, so far we have Daytona, Raylicious/Flavoray/Ray, J-dog, Mac Daddy, Little Wayne, and Paco) and their respective faculty members. I haven't had much interaction with the other grades - mostly because they reside in the creepy hallway at the end of the school whence I dare not go.

And the faculty is all-a-jitter trying to line me up with everyone they know.

I love my job.

5 comments:

richbarn said...

Until you have adult children of your own you won't understand why I'm on the verge of tears as I finish reading your current post. I mean that in the most positive way imaginable!

Launi said...

sounds like perfection! i'm happy you're happy, jiggy g.

Tara said...

Well, that line is DEFINITELY in "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken." Is that what you were looking for?
And PS, I love that you've still got the teaching fervor. You need to see "The Ron Clark Story." you just do...

Anonymous said...

You're my hero too, so I guess you have to add grad students to your list of admirers. :-)

Anonymous said...

I was shocked to read that you are teaching kids "appropriate behavior"???? Is this the kid that filled my car over 5 years ago with confetti and it is still coming out of odd places. You - You are teaching kids appropriate behavior. .... Good thing I love you. - Mama Warner