Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Cold and Aloof

I quote "Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat. If you don't, I don't care, I'll pull down your underwear." - It's good to know that the rhymes haven't changed in the last twenty years or so.

The playground is not only the site of childhood mischief and youthful fancy, but apparently faculty gossip. It's like the educational water-cooler, and it makes me giggle.

A brilliant man named Eric Snider - who I believe I've mentioned before - writes columns of a most hilarious nature. He wrote one on the current nature of children's names. To his list I'd like to add the following from my school:

Giek (pronounced 'geek')
Sneet
C'era
Liahona
Kayrin

I never realized how un-subtle children are until I started teaching them. I see more note-passing, cheating on tests, etc. etc. etc. than I ever thought I would. I wonder if I was equally obvious...

8 comments:

The Downs Family said...

the joys of education! keep it up!

Anonymous said...

The Nayme Gaimme is now official my favorite thing I've ever read in my life. :-)

Unknown said...

You were, and probably still are, just as obvious. We think we get sneakier as we get older but we really don't.

Tara said...

Yes indeed--cold and aloof is the KEY to discipline. Keep it up and you'll go far.

I'm Batman said...

Are they as bad as Brandon Bytheway in Mrs. Busk's English classes. She was such an awful .....

Kristylee said...

Hey I haven't read your blog in a while so I've been doing some catch-up and I love it! You really do sound so happy, not that I have ever seen you unhappy, but you sound happier! I love that you love you job so much! And your trip to New York sounded amazing!

Leah said...

http://wesclark.com/ubn/

That's a great comprehensive Utah name page right there. It's astounding. I love these from my neighborhood: Jorgen, Carsten, Cacia, Daven (pronounced Day-vin), LaVoice, DaNeille (pronounced Duh-nail), Kaitlin. Oh how I could go on...

Nichole said...

Uh, my cousin named his kid "Sebastian Danger Trone." Yikes. Could that make it on the list?