Wednesday, May 14, 2008

S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G

3rd grader - "I'm a shark. I eat books."
As heard by Mr. B - "I'm a shark. I eat butts."

On my way to work this morning I got a flat tire on my bike. I've only had the thing for 2 weeks. But I knew it was bound to happen, and is bound to happen again. There are just too many sharp pointy things to run over.

1st grade journal entry: I have a intenDo DS. and I saw some wone at the mall. and it is a lot of fun.

1st grader: Mr. B, he said a bad word. He said S-E..uh...S-X!...do you have that with your wife?
Mr. B: I'm not married.
1st grader: That means you're gay!
Mr. B: No, it just means I'm not married.

Book recommendation - "Frindle" by Andrew Clements. It's a simple, short (104 pages, took me about an hour to read it) heartwarming story about the ability of an average 5th grader to change the world. Rather inspiring.

We're currently in the throes of end of year testing. For part of the testing kids who no speaka the English can have it translated for them. I was helping with the 4th grade math test. One of the questions was asking about how many pennies Jorge had. For some reason it was really difficult for me to speak Spanish, but say pennies. What I was trying to say was "Cauntos pennies tiene Jorge," (How many pennies does Jorge have?) What I ended up saying was something like, "Cuantos penes tiene Jorge?" (How many penises does Jorge have?) Oh the joys of translation.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Fabulous translation! I hope you got some equally interesting answers!

Unknown said...

HA HA HA HA!!! I LOVE IT! Just like my days of translation in the mission. I LOVE those moments!