Friday, May 2, 2008

Salutations

Some of my more rambunctious 3rd graders were acting up a bit in the computer lab. This is a normal thing and I usually just calm them down, but I wasn't feeling especially lenient last week, so I sent 6 boys back to class with the express privilege of spending their Monday morning recess with me. I made them write apology letters to the computer lab teacher. Two of the boys cried. Gold star for me. One boy in his letter apologized for giving guff to one of the aides - Mrs. O'Bryan. Except he said Mrs. Old Brien.

One day this week, writing center in the first grade consisted of writing about things you like to read about. One especially promising youngster wrote, "I like to read about guns."

It was Ms. J's birthday on Wednesday. She had a party for her class. They watched "Charlotte's Web" - the new one. There's a part toward the end where the little girl, Fern, rides the ferris wheel with the cute boy in her class. They laugh, smile, hold hands, all that small-town joy kinda stuff. One of her students yelled out, "That's Mr. B and Ms. Jackson when they were little!" For some reason they're still holding out hope for the two of us.

Also, out of all the Charlotte's Web characters there are, their class picked Templeton as the one I most resemble. The greedy, gluttonous, selfish, dirty, lazy rat. I wonder if they're trying to tell me something. In the end he does have a good heart, so I guess I shouldn't be too put out, but really?

Because of the absurd nature of gas prices, I've purchased a bike. It was a $50 bargain at Target, and runs about like a $50 bike, but it gets me to school and the theatre, which are the two places besides home that I spend most of my time. I also rode it back to Target to exchange my bike lock. I'm a bit saddle sore, but that'll soon be over and I can just enjoy my little bike.

Advantages to using a bike as transportation:

Lighten the load on my wallet
Cardio workout while traveling
More time in the fresh air and sunshine
I can listen to podcasts and take advantage of my traveling time
I, along with my students, get to use the crossing guard's talents
In a couple of months I'm going to have amazing legs
I'm not contributing to inversion

Our monthly Everyday Hero party was today. It was amazing. I did the Macarena, the Electric Slide, the Locomotion, the Conga, the Boot Scoot and Boogy, and a whole lot of random insane fun dancing. I like dancing with little kids the best because they, for the most part, still haven't developed any inhibitions. The older kids were BORING! At the end of the party when I was out of breath and a bit sweaty I wanted to talk to the head of the state office of education and say, "Now try to tell me that dance isn't physical education."

Letter from the principal to my boss regarding the Everyday Hero party, "M, I want Greg to be assigned to the party starting at 11:50. He makes a party fun!! - JT"

No comments: