Monday, April 28, 2008

The wrong syl-LA-ble

Ms. J's class - "Hey, you're not supposed to be in here," "What are you doing here?" etc. etc. etc.
Ms. J - Mr B's always invited here.
3rd grader - And you're invited to my party!
Other 3rd grader - Your invited to my party too!
3G - My party's better
O3G - nuh uh!
(a fight ensues over which party will be better)

In 3rd grade power hour (insert fanfare/varied superhero themes/music composed by John Williams etc.) we were doing multi-syllabic words.  One was emphasis.  I told the kids to sound out the word to themselves, then on the cue to say the word I got six happy students saying "Em-PHA-sis"...

In 1st grade power hour (insert appropriate accompaniments) I looked over to see the basket-head girl whacking her head on the table and laughing.  I worry about her.

While in the first grade classroom I noticed a bunch of cups filled with dirt sitting by the window.  This class was growing plants.  I must have been having a weird day because it really almost brought a tear to my eye seeing the little sprouting leaves.  It's something so simple and yet so completely amazing.

If they have to do an autopsy on my body when I die, I think they're going to find an inordinate amount of dry-erase marker ink dust.  I think it's seeping into my system.  I may one day be various shades of black, blue, green, and red.

I played kick ball with the 3rd grade.  They had me be the pitcher so that all the kids got a fair shot at kicking the ball.  It was a blast.  Let me just reiterate the fact that I love playing games with kids who don't really get the rules.  At one point we somehow ended up with three kids on one base.  We just laughed.

2 comments:

Evan and Amanda Tolman said...

We laughed, and then viciously threw them out of the game and laughed at them some more.

Matt said...

I love it. I used to volunteer in a couple of third grade classrooms at my old elementary school. You bring back so many memories.