Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Local Listings

I work on the West Side.  For those not familiar with Salt Lake County territorial boundaries, that equates to "the wrong side of the tracks."  And I love every minute of it...though sometimes it's frightening/saddening/disheartening.

The kids at my school - despite the boundless resources available to them - kind of have the cards stacked against them.  Many of them come from poor immigrant families.  Some have one - or both - parents in prison.  Some have been made to believe that mullets and wife-beaters are ok.  And as hard as we try to counteract all of this, some of them just aren't going to make it:

-The boy who drew pictures of guns on his paper and threatened to shoot one of his friends

-The student who changed a screensaver in the computer lab to say "school sucks tits"

-The overly-emotional first-grader who lives with her psychotic grandmother.

And yet, I still find countless moments throughout my day to smile:

-The 3rd grade prom queen.  Complete with a ringletted half-up-do, dangly pearl earrings, and a Zac Efron locket (though she'd rather marry 50 Cent).  She was seen only moments later on the playground bending down and revealing a full two inches of prom-queen crack.

-The tiny blond first grade boy with superbly long eyelashes who burst into fits of giggles while telling me a story about I don't know what because he was giggling too hard.

-"Oh, you're Mr. B!"

-Breakfast for lunch in the cafeteria.

Now, I was talking to Ms. J the other day as she was handling some book order money from her kids.  She made a comment about one of their mother's being a stripper and how the stack of 1's she got from the child could have been acquired in such a fashion.  It got me to thinking - what percentage of dollar bills currently in circulation actually has been inside someone's underpants?

6 comments:

Leah said...

At my house it's 100%

Greg D said...

Somehow I don't find that hard to believe...

Charisse Baxter said...

Oh, wow - now THAT's food for thought... (Maybe "food" wasn't the word I was looking for...)

I'm going to get you a T-shirt that says: "Yes, I AM Mr. B"

Erin Brady said...

Greg, I must admit that your blog is my absolute favorite. It's the one blog that once I start reading,I can't stop. It's addicting. I'm supposed to be doing some stupid homework but I have to know what your kids said, or some insane story that you mused over to go with an equally insane picture. It's like mental candy, and it almost makes me feel guilty when I read it...like all of those people at the grocery stores who consciously "glance" at the tabloids to see the latest/Benifer story. I'm so glad you blog.

Andrew said...

Your days never get old do they?

Michelle said...

Okay, that last thing about the dollar bills was just WAY too much for me to handle. I think I'm going to start putting on surgical gloves before I open my wallet now.