Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Tender moments

Every once in a great while I come across something that isn't so much funny or depressing as tender. There's a little 1st grade boy who's dad died a while ago. His teacher said he had a really hard time with it at first, but is getting better. While filling out his "All About Me" poster he filled in the question "If I could have one wish I would wish for..." with "My Dad." He also drew a picture of his family and included his Dad in the clouds. Adorable.

Another 1st grade boy has a girlfriend in the kindergarten. In one of their centers they were doing character studies. So they'd pick two people, write something that was unique to each individual, and then something they had in common. His consisted of their two names with the following information for each category:

Jack*: Jack is a boy.
Jill: Jill is a girl
Both: We both love each other

While in the first grade I looked over at one of the tables to see a delightful young girl with a basket placed resolutely over her head.

3rd grade girl: Here Miss Jackson (hands her a stick)
Miss J: (blank look)

-3 hours later-

Different 3rd grade girl: Here Miss Jackson (hands her a stick)
Miss J: (dumbfounded look)

Still another 3rd grade girl: Miss Jackson, you know how it itches when you get hit in the head with a BB?
Miss J: (bewildered)
3rd grade girl: Well, that's what happened to me this weekend and it really itches!

And I've finally become official. Today I got my Granite School District ID/Security Card/Superfluous Electronic Door Key Badge. I feel so cool.

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent