Monday, June 16, 2008

Matters of size

Somehow a bird got trapped in my classroom over the weekend. So when I showed up to school Monday I found little presents smattered about the room. Delightful.

My corn blower is gone. Apparently their family is having some difficulties, so they won't be coming back to summer school, and they're going to a private school in the fall. Part of me is glad because he was a handful, but I'll miss him at the same time.

On the bus-ride to the zoo: "Let's see whose is bigger!" Don't worry, they were just talking about their name-tags.

One of them asked if we were going to the Hoagie zoo.
The zoo was awesome. We saw animals, climbed animal statues, contemplated buying animal souvenirs, ate ice cream - which has very little to do with animals at all, but is extremely delicious - and I ran into an old high school friend (Hi Jill!)
I love kids. I think I may have mentioned this before. I think we can learn a lot from them. Today my lesson was to recognize the wonder all around us. We took I-215 to the zoo for a fieldtrip today. I think about every other minute the kids were shouting, "Whoooaaahhh!!!" At some thing or another - the view of the valley, the big houses on the hill, the canyon we passed. Then they would do the arm-pump every time a big truck passed us and got the biggest kick when the driver would honk their horn. Love it.

In closing I'd like to say that I don't know if there's much of anything more adorable than a sleeping child. Too cute.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

darling pic with the squirrel! Ha ha! What a fun job you have!

Anonymous said...

I'm so in love with that last chipmunk-y picture! I don't know if it's because it reminds me of the gorilla on "Return to Me" or because of the amazing connection kids have with nature, but I like it a lot lot. :-)

Tara said...

The world is a better place when a person who loves kids, and is basically a kids himself, gets hired to teach kids. 3 Cheers for You!