Friday, June 13, 2008

Summer...what's that?

I was introduced this morning as the member of the summer school faculty - that's right, faculty - in charge of 2nd grade.  I have 26 kids registered in my class, but only about half of them show up, so it should be a fun three weeks.  We've got daily computer time, read naturally lab, small group time, lunch, and 3 planned field trips.  I don't think there's going to be much time for actual teaching, but I'm sure it'll be a blast.  

Because summer school is for the kids who need an extra boost, I think it'll be ripe with opportunities for "Is what I just heard really what you just said?" moments. Like this:

I have a rather special young man in my class for the summer who has the attention span of a small kitchen appliance. I let him leave to use the bathroom. I left the classroom several minutes later to see him walking out of another classroom. I just looked at him and didn't say anything, then the following short conversation occurred:

Boy: Well, sometimes I have diarrhea and corn comes out. I just had to tell my sister.
Mr. B: (confused look) Ok.

His sister happens to be the girl in 3rd grade who reads 16 words a minute.

Or this:

I was working on an example for our art project today and overheard a few of my kids who were working with one of the aides.  They were doing timings on groups of words.  One of their words was "milkshake."  After his timing on of my little cherubs innocently - or perhaps not so innocently - declared, "My milkshake's better than yours."

There are some kids I just don't get.  No matter how many times you tell them something they seem to end up doing their own thing.  Total space cadets.  Oh well, I guess the world needs cosmonauts too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sure I laughed at the CORN for like 10 minutes!!!

kim and ned said...

Hi Mr. B. I did summer school last year and hated it. But your job sounds a ton more fun than mine. I also just spent the whole year prior to that teaching the same kids the same thing I was teaching them at summer school. So, I was to say the least...frustrated! You would be an excellent teacher. Good luck and have fun!

Erin Brady said...

I love little kids. I have a niece that I taught the word, "naked" too. Every time she gets out the shower she runs around without a towel yelling, "I'm naked!!" I'm just so dang proud. Anyway, I love your blog, but I must admit, I'm extremely disappointed. You don't have me listed under your friends blogs, you little punk. So help me...