Monday, November 3, 2008

No soup for you.

I made soup for dinner this evening as I'm feeling a tad under the weather.  Soup is a comfort food for me.  Though I'm fairly certain soup does not actually contain any hyper-healing powers, or introduce microscopic superheroes to fight viral villains, soup makes one feel better when one is feeling blue.  Or in my case, a bit sniffly.  And this particular variety was a winner.  As I was making it I thought of my friend through whose circulatory system soup courses, and wondered if her chewable-food-loving husband would approve. Even if not, I enjoyed it immensely.  It's easy, quick, and entirely delicious:

Greek Lemon-Rice Soup

3 c. chicken broth
2 to 3 oz. uncooked regular rice
2 eggs
3 tbsp. lemon juice
Dash of salt
Dash of white pepper

In 2-quart saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat, add rice, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. In small bowl, beat eggs and lemon juice. Stirring constantly, add 1 cup of hot soup, a little at a time. Stir mixture into soup in pan and heat. Do not boil! Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

I am only one and thus reduced the recipe.  I also don't have chicken broth sitting around so I ended up using about a cup and a half of water mixed with chicken flavored ramen seasoning.  I went with 1/4 of a cup of rice and halved everything else.  It was perfect for one.  I added some yeastless wheat bread I made for Sunday dinner and had a perfectly pleasing, and healing-power-packed meal. :)  With any luck I'll awaken tomorrow not only feeling better, but positively glowing with healthy radiance. Keep your fingers crossed.

3 comments:

Launi said...

aww, you thought of me! mmm, this soup sounds delicious, i'll have to make it for myself for lunch since i'm sure the josh would not approve. :) i hope it helps you feel better, gregerson! love you!

Leah said...

I thought that link for vein-coursing soup nut would go to me. I eat soup winter, summer, rain, shine, chunky, brothy, creamy, spicy...I could go on and on. We honestly have soup at least twice a week. I'll post my absolutely favoritest recipe on my blog tomorrow. Read "The Tale of Despereaux" by Kate DiCamillo, in which soup has a starring role.

J,B and K said...

Random, this is Jodie Daniels (Katie's sister) but I found your blog on hers and I cooked this soup last night. It was quite yummy. Thanks for sharing.