Saturday, November 24, 2007

The effervescence of ginger

My Thanksgiving holiday was amazing!!! I took a trip to New York to visit my dear friend Emily. I had a total blast. Here are some of the highlights:

I left Tuesday night after my rehearsal and got to NY around 6 am the next morning giving me a total of about 3 hours of sleep. From the moment I arrived we pretty much went non-stop. We cruised Manhattan and had a great time. 5th Ave, Rockefeller Plaza, Tiffany's, The waterfront, watching the stage-hands in their striking efforts.

Because of the strike we didn't get to see a show. There were still shows going on, but not really anything I wanted to see.



At one point during the day I was losing my momentum, so I requested we sit and people watch for a spell. Whilst resting our tootsies on a curbside bench a group of older men came sauntering down the sidewalk. I said to Emily, "Is that Rudy Giulliani?" And sure enough, it was. He was just walking down the street...wearing a very nice suit.


During part of our wanderings we went to Grand Central Station and found the most amazing store with the coolest stuff. I got some neato sticky notes to help me in my scripture study. The company is called Pylones.

Thursday was equally amazing. We - being Emily, her cousin Mark, and I - went to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Worth doing once, but I think next year I'll just enjoy it from the comfort of the living room. We woke up a bit late, so we only caught the end, but we did get to see Wynona Judd, Willard Scott, and the Mr. Potatohead balloon. Also, it was about 65 degrees. I'm definitely not complaining about that.

Dinner was spectacular - I think more so because I got to help make it. Everything was made from scratch from the sweet potato casserole, to the cornbread in the stuffing. I even cut herbs from the Nelson's garden for the gravy. It was amazing.

We went to see the new Disney movie Enchanted. Aside from the fact that the evil queen's costume looked like it came off the Halloween clearance rack at Wal-mart, it was an awesome movie. Definitely a feel-good, warm fuzzy type adventure. And Disney makes fun of themselves for pretty much the entire film. A definite must-see.

My trip ended with carrot cake, and two slightly delayed flights - during one of which I was almost neglected during the beverage service. I also had an entire row of seats to myself, and so availed myself of the opportunity for a nap.

I only had two days in the big Apple, but they were amazing. I had a great time, and can't wait to get back once the strike is over...sigh...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew you were at the parade-- I would've watched for you on TV! :-D

And thank you for introducting me to Pylones. Their crocodile staple remover is now officially my favorite thing in creation. Yay!

Topher and Carma said...

Greg,
It makes me happy that you were one of the estimated 3.5 million in attendance at the parade. Sounds like you had a great time.

Leah said...

Holy crap that turkey is amazing. I would try to duplicate it, but I don't think it would be half as amazing out of plastic cutlery.

Janell R. Cropper said...

I'm glad to hear you liked Enchanted. I keep hearing mixed reviews..but still wanna see it. If grego likes it, I shall too!