Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sporking

There once was a man named Bobby
Shaving monkeys for sport was his hobby
He'd skin them all clean
It made quite a sheen
So he displayed them all in the lobby.

For those interested I have more info on "Lend Me A Tenor." I'm the Monday, Wednesday, Friday guy. So starting New Year's Eve (though I think that day may actually already be sold out) I'll be in the show every MWF until Feb. 9. I may also be in some matinee performances, but I forget. For further information on times, locations, tickets, etc. etc. etc. visit the Hale Centre Theatre Website.

Along those lines, the Hale People asked me this week if I would be in the publicity photos for the show. I was delighted and quite honored. Consequently I have to shave my beard earlier than I thought. This makes me sad. I wonder if they're going to reverse their casting decision in consequence. I don't know that they know how young I look without a beard. Oh well.

So a while ago I suggested the 5 love languages theory to a friend to help alleviate some anxiety he was feeling in a friendship. I had a basic knowledge of what the 5 love languages consist of and how they apply to life, but I took my own advice and actually read the book. It was quite good. I recommend it to everyone - especially you Mom and Dad I think you'd get a lot out of it. Married people, single people, everyone - read it, live it, love it.

And just FYI for everyone, my love language is Quality Time followed closely by Words of Affirmation. Basically if you pay attention to me and put effort into our relationship i.e. spend time with me, talk to me, reciprocate on the communication front etc. - I'll feel like you love me. If this is a sound theory, I think this may explain some of the recent frustrations of my life. One interesting thing that the book points out is that love doesn't just happen. Love is a choice. I like that.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, thanks for passing on the 5 love languages. The book quite literally changed my life.

Anonymous said...

i love the 5 love languages. i'm physical touch and receiving gifts. with little bit of quality time mixed in.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for originally suggesting the 5 love languages to me. While I haven't read the book, it was interesting to think about and hear what other people thought their love languages were. I wonder if what I think my love languages are would change if I were to read the book. It probably explains them a lot better than the 3 sentence paragraph on the website....

I still think words of affirmation, physical touch, and quality time are my three.

Anonymous said...

So where does "Sporking" come from? Have you had recent adventures with said utensil?

Greg D said...

No, I haven't had any spork adventures lately. Literally or figuratively speaking. *sigh*

As for the book - I thought mine were Quality time followed by physical touch, but after reading the book it came down to a close battle between Quality time and words of affirmation, I decided on QT. Turns out I just enjoy physical touch, but I don't need it to feel loved.