Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Back in the Saddle.

Call me crazy, but I'm in another show.  I was planning on taking a break for a while and focusing on this whole teaching thing, but I guess someone somewhere had other plans.  

I got a call last night from the Dietlein (Mark Dietlein, he produces the shows at Hale Theater) asking if I wanted to be in Cash On Delivery - the first show for next year's season.  I was a bit surprised as I hadn't auditioned.

So, I slept on it and decided I wasn't going to do it.  I was planning on calling during lunch today, but conveniently forgot to bring my phone to school.  That left me open to discuss it with a few friends.  I got home at about 6:30 after going to the gym, thought about it some more and decided I might like to do the show.  Here is my line of reasoning:

Cons:
1 - It's a time commitment.  Things are crazy as it is without throwing one more thing on top.
2 - It would be nice to use the little free time I have to focus on getting the hang of this new career I've adopted.
3 - I may or may not need a break from doing a show since I've been involved in one fairly consistently since about this time last year.
4 - Loss of the little social life I currently have - including my nearly defunct dating life.
5 - Either Friday or Saturday night becomes null and void.

Pros:
1 - It's not a major role, so it wouldn't be a major time commitment.
2 - I could use the extra cash.
3 - New Year's Eve show = Oh so much fun!
4 - As my mentor/coach/aunt pointed out, it's an outlet for me.
5 - Being in a show at the beginning of the year (which might be crazier than my life currently) will help me get used to the schedule for when I want to audition for Treasure Island.
6 - It's a comedy, which I love and I'm good at.
7 - I LOVE IT!

So, the pros outweighed the cons.  I said a little prayer around 7:15 stating my reasons for wanting to do the show, said I would be calling the theater back at 7:30 to give them my affirmative answer, and if that wasn't a wise idea I needed to know in the following 15 minutes.  I didn't get a no.  In fact I felt pretty good about my decision, so I called up the theater and told them I'd be willing to be in the show.  And there you have it.  Along with the role they offered me - Dr. Chapman, a novice psychiatrist dealing with his rather awkward first case - they asked if I wanted to understudy for one of the leads.  I'd get a little extra money and maybe have the opportunity to perform as a lead character.  It's not a guarantee, but it's a possibility.  I didn't commit to that one yet.  We're gonna see how the show goes and then make a decision. 

So, life just became a little busier, but it's nothing I've never dealt with before.  Being able to share my talents has always been a priority and has helped me deal with the stress of a busy life.  Plus, I get free food. :)

So come see me in "Cash On Delivery" at the Hale Theater from December 31-February 14.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Yay! I'm so excited!! You must be totally amazing. Oh wait...you ARE!

Lindsey said...

yeah baby! So excited to see you in another show - count me in! (for seeing the show, that is)

Leah said...

For 2 free tickets I would club the lead in the shin for you.

Angie said...

You are crazy, but the rest of the world is going to benefit. That's a good crazy!