Sunday, February 15, 2009

Story story

For some reason, I've taken to writing stories in weird places and at weird times.  My most recent endeavor was during the run of "Cash On Delivery" at Hale Theater.  I was a doctor who was supposedly taking notes, when in reality I was writing a story.  It turned out rather well, I think.  It's a bit long, so I won't post it here, but I will post a poem that I wrote during the last show on Saturday morning:

Mrs. Pumpernoodlestein
Had a cat, and it was fine.
She bathed it once or twice a day
Bathed it in the usual way
With rubber ducks, and suds, and soap-
The kind that hangs upon a rope
The cat would scream, and scratch, and screech
But Mrs. P kept out of reach
She thought it pertinent that he,
The cat, that is, should be as she
Squeaky clean, dressed to the nines
That's how she sleeps, and reads, and dines
The kitty, though, had other plans
You see, he'd found some rusty cans.
He planned to soil his pristine fur
And that would surely rankle her.
He sprang from tub, through bathroom door
And dashed along the hallway floor
He found the cans in back, you see
And thus began his dirty spree
But her poor cat runs out of luck
And gets picked up by garbage truck
Mrs. P sees that he's gone
And sheds a single tear - just one.
But soon a new friend comes her way
And Mrs. P smiles to this day
Mrs. Pumpernoodlestein
Had a bird, and it was fine.

Here's a short story that I wrote at church a few months ago while practicing my cursive handwriting.  I teach cursive in third grade and thought I might want to brush up a bit:

Once upon a time there was a little house in the woods.  Inside the house lived a small boy with his family.  The boy was missing one of his eyes, but he was very happy.  In the summer he would go to the beach and lay in the sand and relish the feelings of the waves as they washed over him.  All of a sudden he was attacked by A Flock of Seagulls - the band, not an actual flock of seagulls.  However, it was not a physical attack of violence, but an attack of pancakes!  The best part was that pancakes were the boy's favorite food.  So the boy feasted on pancakes with A Flock of Seagulls.  Then an actual flock of seagulls came and ate the boy and the band. 
The End.

One day I may publish a few of these stories.  Do you think the world is ready for my warped tales?

5 comments:

kyle said...

I like them, especially the poem.

Janell R. Cropper said...

Yes, we're ready Grego! :) And, I have a story for you to find. "The Epiplectic Bicycle." So far in my lifetime, it takes the cake for the most warped tale I've ever read.

richbarn said...

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh! Greg!

Charisse Baxter said...

Love. Love love love.

The warpedness of your brain makes you even MORE mind-blowingly sexy.

True story.

Erin Brady said...

It reminds me of the Grimms Brother's fairy tales. I was afraid that the seagull was going to peck the boy's only eye out of his head. But I like that you brought in the band, instead.