Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Day One

This was my first day of actual work. It's really pretty easy. I was right when I thought I'd be a professional gopher. That's pretty much what I do. Move boxes, fill out name-tags, get people comfortable, pass out forms, hand out free gifts etc. etc. etc.

With the exception of my mission in Argentina, I don't know that I've ever felt like more of a minority. Not only racially or religiously, but educationally, socially, intellectually. It's sort of a bizarre feeling.

One woman I met today was named Irma. She only had half her teeth, but not in the way you might think. All of her teeth were in her head, but due to poor dental hygiene they were all worn down about half-way.

During our lunchtime presentation we had two women come with their teen-aged children. The youngsters knew each other but it had apparently been awhile since they'd seen one another. About half-way through the presentation they left and came back a few minutes later slightly more disheveled, and a little happier...I love Arkansas.

A fascinating array of the men-and-women-next-door.
In my travels today I ate fried okra for the first time. It was quite delicious all things considered. I consumed it at a sizzler-esque buffet. Rather low-budget food, but not bad.

Unless something extraordinary happens, this will be my last post from Arkansas. Many adventures from the world over are sure to follow -

Let the madness ensue!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg-
Sounds like your off to a good start at seeing the many walks of life!! Work hard and you will succeed and anything you do!
I Love you!
Mom

Katie said...

It must be fun to travel the world. have fun on all your other travels!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could eat fried okra in a low-budget buffet! I'm so jealous of your adventures already! :-D