Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Deep in the heart

I have yet to see any big hair, big belt buckles, or big trucks. I think maybe the fascination people have with the size of Texas and its accouterments is misplaced. Unless, of course, the bigness of this quaint corner of the country lies in the outskirts of it's larger cities. And on that note I just saw a commercial where the man was wearing a cowboy hat - odd? Perhaps not, except for the fact that the man was a lawyer.

I had lunch at the Steak and Shake today. this takes me back to my days in Florida. We had a large Mexican youth as a waiter back in those days. He dripped sweat everywhere and that particular establishment seemed to be out of everything. Certain dishes, cheese, butter - we almost thought they'd run out of water. Today's experience was better. A delightful young waitress, greasy food, delicious shakes - fantastic.

Before lunch we had an adventure at Wal-mart. Our speaker bought brown shoe-laces for his black shoes, and my manager and I saw an aged woman who we surmised was trying to steal a bunch of green bananas. I observed that she might be the only person alive who Wal-mart security personnel could actually detain. She hobbled along using her shopping cart as a walker, head bobbing as the hem of her red jump suit pants remained a safe 6 inches above the floor.

Delving into this world driven by testosterone laden young men is quite an experience. The men I work with are all more than congenial and superbly friendly, just not the type of person I'm used to being around. It's fantastically entertaining for me. As is the fact that I eat out all the time. I think I may have a tough time keeping my trim figure with my new life on the road. I guess I'll have to get back to exercising.

The first two nights of this week I get my own hotel room. I figured out today that it's the handicap room. An extra peep-hole down low, extra wide doorways and a seat for the bathtub. Good times, good times.

No comments: