Saturday, January 27, 2007

One more night

My flight home was cancelled – poo. That means one more night in the Lonestar State. Home of President Bush, the Alamo, and the car-garage-turned-drive-thru-liquor-store. Luckily we get a free night at a very posh hotel. The Westin. Here’s my quandary for the day – why is it that at the La Quinta and the Holiday Inn wireless internet is free, but the pricier hotels charge for it? This makes about as much sense to me as my $1.00 Twix yesterday.

Fortunately the delays in air travel have allowed me to solve another riddle – that of the Pappas. The other restaurant was Pappas Bros. Steakhouse. Tonight we ate at Pappasitos – a vast improvement over our experience in the feaux French quarter. Apparently all of the Pappas restaurants are owned by a family with the last name of Pappa (or Pappas, didn’t quite catch which). Two aspiring Pappa’s brothers took their mother’s deli from down-home to downtown and are now wealthy beyond human imagination. There’s also apparently a Pappa’s burger joint of some sort. All that’s required now is a memorial potato garden owned by the pope’s father (a little subtle and obscure Spanish humor for those who hablan).

My work has presented a missionary experience – I was asked yesterday if I knew whether I was going to heaven or not. This of course sparked a friendly debate with the old man who posed the question and whose halitosis suggested a less-than-standard education. Faith without works was mentioned; he told me a story about the point system in heaven, said hope was pointless and left with his free personal organizer. Chalk one up for nondenominational Christianity

Decision – women over the age of 35 should not be allowed to wear anything that reveals skin between the neck and the knees (with the obvious exception of the arms from the elbow down). Today a seeming modestly dressed woman came wearing a bright and uplifting hat complete with a sunflower and a cheery disposition. Danger, however, was lurking just below eye-level. When she arose to secure a cup of coffee a slit appeared in the back of her smock from the middle of her back all the way to the bottom of the garment – atrocious!

I got another free brownie today, in addition Delta airlines gave us hotel and meal vouchers in consequence of our flight being cancelled. What this means is that I may be able to get yet another free brownie. Three free brownies in two days – that’s luck.

On a more serious note – while I’m traveling the world helping those less forturnate discover the wonders of internet marketing, I find myself at a loss for the daily social interactions to which I have become accustomed. There is certainly not a dearth of human interaction, merely the child-like playfulness so comfortable to me when I’m surrounded with those I love. This does not mean that I’m unhappy in any way with my current employment situation or am saddened by the immense amount of travel I get to experience – on the contrary. It simply means that change has occurred. For the better or for the worse is yet to be determined. One thing, however, is for certain – I doubt whether I will very often take for granted those rare and quasi-celestial moments I spend with family and friends in seemingly mundane activities of quotidian life.

-------

Because of my lack of free internet this will be a pre-dated blog. Like a post-dated check, only much less convenient when faced with a lack of available funds. Next week will be spent continuing to adjust to my new adventurous life in the Salt Lake Valley. Tune in the next week for more escapades from our nation’s capitol.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Oh my goodness. Your blog just taught me a new and FANTASTIC word that will be immediately added to my list of favorite words. Quotidian. Delightful and much better than "common place." Yay!