Friday, January 26, 2007

Walker ranged here?

As I sit here drinking my herbal tea and watching absolutely nothing on TV - how is it that there are so many channels and none of them are showing anything worthwhile? - I contemplate the meaning of life...or at least the meaning of a Twix candy bar costing $1.

To start off my day I solved a 4-star sudoku puzzle

This morning I forgot to grab the projector case as I left the hotel room, but didn't realize it until we had gotten to the conference center. Thus I got to go on a solo adventure back to the hotel. It was easy enough, I suppose, except for the fact that unless I get from point A to point B myself - I don't know how to get there at all. My manager explained the return trip to the hotel and I was easily able to follow his instructions. Along the way I recognized Mexican restaurants, Mexican beer stores, and Mexicans that were landmarks on the journey, but there came a point where I didn't recognize anything. I swerved, rather unsafely, across 3 lanes of traffic to a convenient store for directions - only to discover I was on the right track. So it was an adventure after all. I just now realize that swerving across three lanes of traffic perhaps isn't the greatest adventure I've ever had, but after passing the frontiers of flight museum on the return trip, I think adventures can appear when least expected and should be appreciated in all of their forms.

Lunch - Mexican food. I've found it's really easy to make friends with people here - I just speak Spanish and we're practically family.

My current reading endeavor is titled "The Chosen" by Chaim Potok. A recommendation from a friend who said it "changed [her] life." It involves two Jewish youngsters and the progression of their unlikely friendship - like the Fox and the Hound set in Brooklyn. Really a well written book with deep and profound - albeit vague - messages. The reason for mentioning this - I met a Jewish woman tonight who teaches sign language. Her husband's 3rd or 4th great-grandfather was Lazarus Snow - I'm pretty sure she meant Lorenzo Snow - either way...

Tonight's crowd included diabetic lesbian who wore a tie patterned with Elk and had to leave several times to use the facilities. For some reason I think she would have gotten along rather well with the Canadian Atheist my friend knows. Her traveling companion - a young man of the Caucasian persuasion - reminded me of my Disney room mate Rob the hero. Enough said.

Tonight may have been the highlight of my week. Aside from the glucose processing impaired woman of an alternate lifestyle (see how I was tactful there?), I got a free brownie. What could be better?

Eat at Waffle House...if you're in a location where waffle houses frequent the side of the road. Otherwise eat at Quiznos.

2 comments:

Keither said...

That's hilarious. Waffle houses are everywhere in the south. And mexicans love any american who speaks spanish to them. good times.

Tara said...

For the record, I said "The Chosen" was "FAN-tastic" and I said "Stargirl" changed my life. That's all. Though I discovered through "The Chosen" what soul mates really are which definitely affected me. But we can talk about that some other time and I won't leave massive comments on your blog.