Saturday, March 3, 2007

San Adreas is at fault

For the first time in my new career I saw a butt crack today. It was large and highly unpleasant - alarming in fact. These are the people I meet. These are the people I love.

My managing career has extended beyond last night. Our manager did arrive, but this is his last week with the company so he's just letting me do the managing. Basically that means I do the intro for the speaker and fill in the right boxes on the paperwork. Not too hard. If I had to deal with hotels, caterers, car rental etc. etc. etc. that might be a little harder. But maybe one day I'll be there!

Back to an earlier rant - It's amazing that people continue to fill their own information in the 'guest' section of the registration card, even after I say, pointing to the appropriate area "I need your name and phone number here, and your guest's information in this section." I just don't get it. People just don't listen. Why don't they teach classes in listening? It's probably the most important part of communication, but no one can do it!

Sadly there have been few, if any, opportunities for pictures this week. I did want one of the aqueduct, but I didn't have my camera and I haven't been back - I'm afraid of contracting Ebola or something equally sinister.

One more week down, one more to go and then I get one off. Next week I'll be in PA. It should be frigid and adventurous.

I'm grateful to have a college education and be able to correctly use words such as pedantic, lugubrious, tempestuous, and banal. Life is more fun with big adjectives.

-----

My flights home from California took me from Fresno to LA then to SLC. Why the roundabout route? No one knows. It could be that the Fresno airport had no direct flights. It had a total of 15 gates, and though it's an international airport, I doubt they fly many places besides LA and Tijuana. However the plane ride was rather entertaining. It was a double prop plane and there were only 9 of us on board. Plus if I'd flown direct from Fresno I'd have missed the gorgeous sunset over the ocean in LA.

Next week I'll be in Pennsylvania. One of my stops is Scranton - home of "The Office." Exciting times. However due to the extremely obnoxious nature of airport security I'm going to try a week sans laptop and see how I like it. But fear not faithful readers, I'll take note of the week's adventures and post a summary blog when I get home. The only downside I see to this situation is that I don't have time to run to the Library before I leave for PA, so I'll have to be creative in my entertainment efforts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you run into Jim, give him my number. ;-)