Thursday, March 1, 2007

Registration takes cognitive complexity

On our registration forms there's a section for the person who received the mail. This section already has their name and address filled in. All they have to do is enter their phone number and e-mail address. There is another section right beside this section for the information of whatever guest this person decides to bring. It says things like Guest name, guest address, guest phone number. I am constantly amazed at the number of people who fill in their own information there. I guess writing the word 'guest' 18 times isn't enough information to let these people know that we want their guest's information because we already have the mail recipient's info.

Speaking of filling out forms. I've realized that to fill something in and to fill something out means exactly the same thing.

Tonight we had two drunk people come to the dinner session. We had to ask them, politely, to leave. Good times.

I walked to the McDonald's to get a McGriddles for breakfast this morning and there was a canal alongside the road I was walking. There were two shopping carts and an office chair in the canal. I was expecting to see a dead body. It reminded me of my days in Richfield bumping into 'dead cows' in the canal and trying to avoid catching a disease while enjoying the cool refreshing water.

I'm glad I remembered my electric shaver this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Along the lines of filling things in and filling things out being the same thing-- how can something be hot as Hell and cool as Hell? That just doesn't make sense. :-)

Anonymous said...

I laughed imagining you float down the canal in Richfield, dodging bloated, dead cows. And then the use of the word "refreshing" in the same sentence.

Leah said...

When I worked for FedEx, I was always amazed at the people that wrote in the section that had a border around its entire perimeter reading, "DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SECTION." The thing about humans is, they're dumb.