Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Punctuality counts

I'm staying in a Sheraton for the week. I can't compain about this because it is, in fact, fantastic! But it means no free breakfast, so went to the gas station next door to pick up a couple of pop-tars and a chocolate milk. The chocolate milk was fortified with extra protien, so when it tasted wierd I paid no heed. But after a second swig I decided it would probably be a good idea to check the date on the milk. "Sell by Feb. 04 07" - yes my milk was more than three weeks past the sell by date. But it doesn't end there. I took the milk back. The guy told me I could get a new one. Most of the milk in the refrigerator was "Sell by Feb. 04 07" however I did find one that said "Sell by Jul. 04 06"!!! Oh my gosh! What gas station in their right mind would leave a bottle of milk in the fridge for 8 months?!? I suppose the faded-to-distortion boxes of crackers they had on the shelves should have been a red flag.

So people in California are really punctual. After two days we haven't had anybody show up more than 5 minutes late for an event. Props to the central California population!

I just got a tip on making spectacular brownies - add crushed up dried banana (banana chips). A man who had judged a brownie contest said that there was a pan of brownies containing this special ingredient and they stood out far above the competition. I will for sure be trying this tactic as soon as is humanly possible.

Salsa on a tuna sandwich is a delightful combination.

Who keeps milk in the fridge for 8 months?!?

I believe that I discovered an old friend on myspace today. I haven't seen him since 7th grade which is more than ten years! That is so much fun! I love myspace.

Aside from being punctual, the people here are not all that interesting...ok, I guess they're interesting - at lunch I met a woman who is roughly 3 times my size, confined to an electric wheelchair, has not top teeth and a daughter who looks like a man. I consider that interesting. But there hasn't been anyone as random or entertaining as the palm reader. There was a man tonight whose breath smelled like a campfire and I beleive he was slightly inebriated, but that's just annoying - not interesting. I suppose we have three days left in the area. I await the advent of random and intersting people with great vigor.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Three times your size? No top teeth? All you have to add is "eleven toes and unibrow" and by-gum - you've described me! So don't tell me you're just waiting for interesting people when you've had someone like me on the back burner for years.

PS, glad I've finally found you, my friend.