Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Monumental Lunch Break


I think that bigger cities produce less of the anomalies of humanity that seem so rampant in out-of-the-way places. Most of the people I saw today were fairly mainstream people. They seemed rather with it. Except for the fact that a couple of them displayed a voracious and insatiable lust for cold-cuts and potato salad.

Fashion feauxpas of the day - pleather pants. Yes, I saw them. Be warned.
I also witnessed Huxtable sweaters. And yes, you read right, sweaterS. There were two today. Bright colors, bold patterns - they were right out of the Cosby Show. I guess people in DC haven't quite left the early 90's. It might have something to do with the un-updated educational films that still play in all the museums around town.

My lunch break was filled with adventure. I was hit on by a man in a ticket booth. A ticket is required to ascend the heights of the Washington monument. The man in the ticket booth was flirtatiously asking me why I only wanted one ticket. I found it flattering, but odd.

The Smithsonian is 1 block away from my current hotel. During lunch I took the opportunity to experience one of the nation's largest museums - The Museum of Natural History. I saw fossils, more fossils, some fossils, and the hope diamond. The day would have been more enjoyable under 2 different circumstances: First, if it had been warmer. There are several sculpture gardens which are ripe with entertaining photo opportunities, however due to the frigid nature of the air, and the grim state of outdoor plant life, the sculpture gardens held less appeal than normal. Second, I would wish for more time. There's so much to see. I only got to the Washington Monument and the Museum of Natural History, but there's the Air and Space Museum, and at least 6 art galleries of varying exhibits, and the museum of American History (which was closed for refurbishment), not to mention the remaining dozen memorials or so. This part of Washington alone would take a week or so to fully experience. I only had two hours. But it was two hours of blissful solitude.

Of particular note in the MNH was an exhibit about orchids. Small, but very aromatic. I wished to bask in the scent for hours.

I drank hot chocolate with dinner. Heaven in a coffee cup.

2 comments:

Tara said...

I especially love that each picture has a small portion of you in it--as if to assure the viewer that yes, Greg was here too. Good times.

Anonymous said...

Two bits of information for you:

One-- my friend Crystal holds an annual Huxtable Sweater Party where you are not given admittance unless you are wearing said Cosby-esque sweater.

Two-- orchids are edible and taste like lettuce. They're particularly beautiful on top of fancy brownies. I learned that in my flower arranging class.

Just in case you wanted to know. :-)