Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Northampton on my mind

I am feeling absurdly annoyed with everyone I meet today. The British people seem so presumptuous. They come to the presentations and act as if they know what they’re doing, where they are and exactly what’s going one. The reality is that they rarely know much of anything at all in terms of what we’re doing. And bless their souls they’re congenial about it, but my life would be much easier if they would simply hand me whatever papers they’ve been mailed and let me direct them accordingly.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the English may be more conniving when it comes to squeezing money from every corner and crevice of one’s pocket than the Americans. They charge 25 pence to use the phone in the Hotel – for local calls! Apparently America is the land of freedom, there’s certainly not much, if anything, for free here.

A ray of hope amidst the gloom of overcharging and annoying foreigners in their homeland is a woman I met today. Her name is Happiness. I find that to be a delightful reminder of the goodness inherent in the world. How wonderful it must be for her. She brought a smile to my face.

After a delightful romp through an English mall (which was filled with American stores) I felt much better after dinner, however I was not delinquent in my observations. Two things have caught my attention – First is that most people here go by their last name and simply put their first initials. Even when asked what one’s name is, a person will usually give their surname. Along those lines I’ve noticed an aversion to nametags here. Many people don’t wear them when we give them, or express apprehension about placing the nametag. One man said “I don’t want to wear that and look like a prat!” Though everyone else who had crossed the threshold of the meeting room had a nametag positioned visibly on their person.

This week I have been fortunate enough to have my own room each night. My manager and the speaker like their room exceptionally cold during the evening (though they seem to enjoy having the car heated to extreme temperatures) and thus they have given me the single room. Tonight I am especially pleased with this arrangement for one reason – the room has a four-poster bed with a canopy!!! I’ve never slept in such a delightful place of repose. I’m rather excited. However due to road closures, incorrect cartography, and the general confusion caused by the British highway system we didn’t arrive at the hotel until after midnight – thus marring and shortening my enjoyment of this splendid room. On the upside they have free internet, though just in the lobby, so in the morning there will be postings! I hope, readers, that you share in my joy and will indulge me with comments of a resplendent nature. (I’ve been reading Jane Eyre this week and the writing style of Ms. Bronte seems to have infected my own.)

I made a phone call last night to a friend of mine who happens to live in London. I assumed (as one should never do) that it would be relatively inexpensive for a short conversation of this nature. It ended up costing me 8 pounds – that’s the equivalent of $16! For three minutes!!! What absurdity! Along with my aversion to fried food I’m beginning to develop an aversion to the UK.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great reading about your adventures. It makes me laugh how you notice what people wear because of the way you and Leah dressed up in high school. I miss your craziness. Thanks for the entertaining blog. Glad you are doing well. momma warner

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy reading your blog. Your verbosity reminds me of Dickens(though your apparent inspiration is Ms. Bronte), and how I love Dickens. You make me smile.