Saturday, February 17, 2007

I left my heart in Worcester

Our final day of presentations in England. A stroke of luck – we finish at noon! Unfortunately we don’t leave for home until tomorrow morning. I suppose that’s alright, it gives me a chance to recoup from the week. I’ve decided I need to travel abroad with my company more often. We have lots of heavy luggage that is constantly needing to be moved, and there are not always elevators in the hotel. I actually think I got a work-out this week.

My last two nights in England were spent in a Marriott Hotel. These hotels use huge beds with a pillow top, down pillows, and a HUGE down feather comforter. Delightful! Sleep shall be mine!

I believe that along with Eruomullets I am morally opposed to pointy shoes.

I took a bath tonight. A nice, long, relaxing, hot bath. I read a book and then just sat for a while and soaked in the joy of my repose. A hot bath is actually sort of a workout in itself. I was sweating and my heart rate was going. It took me a while to cool down, but when I did I curled up on the couch in my room and read a book while sipping not chocolate and nibbling a shortbread oat biscuit.


A week in England has come to an end. That means I no longer have to listen to the two people on my team try – unsuccessfully – to speak with a British accent. I no longer have to stare at people’s horrendous teeth. I no longer have to worry about getting an English sandwich.

I’m sitting in the airport in Atlanta taking a break from my reading blitz. In the last 7 days I’ve read 3 books and am in the middle of my fourth. Jane Eyre was wonderful; Howl’s Moving Castle was strange, but entertaining; Mere Christianity was thought-provoking if a little misconstrued as far as Christian truth in certain areas; and I’m currently in the middle of Demon in the Freezer – a non-fiction work about the smallpox virus, it’s actually quite good. It’s likely that I’ll finish that before I get home to Utah and I’ll then start on The Age of Innocence.

So that’s that. I would like to say right now that a British accent – of any kind – can really add to the attractiveness of a young person, but there’s really nothing that can compare with good old home-grown American eye candy.

It’s currently 3:40 at home in Utah, but my body thinks it’s 10:45. I’m starting to feel it.

Final thoughts from a week in England:
Enjoy Sunshine
Cherish the moments when friends and family members brush their teeth
Thank heaven the US isn’t plagued with roundabouts and a lack of directional signs
Read more

1 comment:

Leah said...

Shortbread....hot chocolate...Ahahahah.... I can barely type at the thought of you all curled up like Meryl Streep on a couch with a shortbread cookie. Especially because in my thoughts right now you're wearing cat-eye glasses and a robe with maribou feathers around the collar.