Friday, February 16, 2007

M6

Rain – it’s wet.

After our morning event we had to travel a distance that should have taken about and hour and a half. 3 and half hours later we arrived, 45 minutes late for our evening event. After we explained to the people who had stayed what had happened, they were very understanding. Apparently the road we traveled is known as England’s ‘car park’ (‘parking lot’ for those of you not acquainted with English colloquialisms). The worst time to drive on that road is Friday around 4 – the exact time we happened to be stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on that road. Sad times.

I finished my second book of the week today. First was Jane Eyre, then Howl’s Moving Castle. I read the second book because I watched the movie, which was nominated for Best Animated Feature a year or two ago at the Oscars, a couple of weeks ago. The movie made very little sense and the book was only slightly more comprehensible. It was entertaining though, so I’m ok with that. I’ve started C.S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity and have come to the conclusion that when reading non-fiction by C.S. Lewis it’s not something that one can merely peruse. It takes study, and therefore a study environment. I’ve been quite able to breeze through the other two books during events or car-rides, but Lewis is going to take a more concerted effort to understand and retain – which is fine, I enjoy a challenge.

I’m excited to get back to the states. I feel like buying something and everything is basically half price in the states when compared to the UK.

A final thought – when dealing with atrocious meeting hall carpeting, it is essential that the curtains and wall-paper are equally bold and horrendous – just ask Marriott.

No comments: