Monday, February 12, 2007

In a roundabout way...

Apparently no one in the UK has caught on to the concept of free internet. In our hotel this afternoon they charge fifteen pounds an hour. That’s equivalent to over $30 – per hour! Ridiculous.

On a brighter note, it seems that the plague of hideous commercial carpet has not escaped the British Isles. We can rest well knowing that conference rooms, hotel corridors and airport terminals the world over are blighted with Huxtable-esque carpeting.

This evening I was given the once-over by a rather androgynous young person. On further observation I ascertained that he was, in fact, a young man. He possessed amazingly feminine facial features which made identification with any clarity quite difficult. This entire situation is an astoundingly subtle, yet intriguingly evident paradox in my life. Those who are intimately acquainted with me will see why. The rest of you will merely have to surmise.

I was going to make a not about British punctuality after today’s events. Not one person was late to our morning session. However, any thoughts I had in this direction were dashed after a half a dozen or so people arrived tardy this evening. I will say, however, that inhabitants of the UK are quite a bit more polite about their lateness.

I think comments on British cuisine will be held until the end of the week. I will say, however, that they really know their chocolate!

The beauty of the British countryside is down-right awe-inspiring – even in the winter. The skies have been a bit gloomy, but the green hills, the moss-covered centuries-old property walls, the antiquated buildings – even the people, to a certain extent. Wonder fills my thoughts and gratitude my heart. I enjoy finding the poetry inherent in the world. The cycle of life and death, light and darkness, old and new. Every place has its beauty and every scene is filled with celestial qualities. It’s awesome.

No comments: