Tuesday, January 29, 2008

1st of all

Over the last few days I've kind of settled into a somewhat set schedule.  I help two third grade classes, then a first grade class, then I have lunch/recess duty, help out a few non-English speaking students with their English, supervise the third grade during a computer program, help with after-school tutoring, and go home.  I kind of like it.  It's always an adventure.  The first grade, however, has provided me with my most entertaining/patience-trying moments this week.  I think that's due, in large part, to the fact that they have the attention span of a gerbil or small kitchen appliance.

One youngster, as we were in the throes of a riveting worksheet, looked at me a moment and said, "You're hairy."  And that was all.

I was wearing an anti-smoking bracelet the other day.  One of the girls asked me what it said.  "Smart. Sexy. Smokefree."  I told her.  She replied, amidst her giggling, with, "Sexy's gross."

Rock, paper, scissors is still a popular method of decision making amongst the 6-yr.-olds.  Only the girls have changed it to "Rock, paper, BRATZ!" *shudder*

Also popular with the kiddies is that timeless activity of giving yourself an arm-hickey.  Right on that soft skin where you're elbow bends.  Mostly because that's the only place on you're arm you can really reach with your mouth.

I never thought I'd say this in my career,  moment - "Get your hand out of your pants."

Interesting moment of my week.  I'm amazed at the perseverance of social stigmas.  We were doing a worksheet where they were working on capitalizing titles i.e. Mr., Mrs., etc.  They were supposed to match the title with the picture.  There was a woman, then a man, then a woman doctor.  I'd point to the woman and say, "Is this Mr., Mrs., or Dr.?"  They'd say, "Mrs."  Then I do the same with the man and almost without exception they'd say Dr. before Mr. - fascinating.

2 comments:

Max Power said...

I never thought I'd say this in my career, moment - "Get your hand out of your pants."

Yeah, just think of when I have to yell that same thing at engineers who are in their 40's....

Natalie Kay said...

Hi Greg,

I found the link on your facebook and have been laughing my head off. I teach 5th grade so I can really appreciate some of this stuff. So where do you work? What do you do exactly?

-Natalie (Miller)