Friday, January 18, 2008

Testing...testing...

I was an emergency sub for a 4th grade class. They were rather talkative. At the end of the day I was reading a story about the history of the pretzel. I told them that they were free to finish coloring the map they were working on while I read the story or they could sit quietly. I don't know that either of those things occurred. So, about two sentences into the story I said, "If you guys aren't quiet, I'll test you on this story." They weren't quiet. Following are the questions and my favorite responses.

1 - How long ago were pretzels invented? (About 1500 years ago)

1960
1990
1989
200
100
50 or 1000 years ago
A lot of them

2 - Where was the first Pretzel Bakery in the US? (Pennsylvania)

Bakery Shop
The Great Salt Lake
Idaho
Morgan
West Jordan
In 1998
1994

3 - Why were pretzels first invented? (As a reward for children who memorized their prayers.)

Because they were good.
Because everyone liked them they decided to make them.
To choo on and to eat.
It was invented.
Bearnt.
Subway.

And the ultimate:

I don't know
I don't know
I don't know!!!!!
Choclet mlik and pizza.

Yesterday I was "adult supervision" for the Panda 200 Club activity. The Panda 200 Club is one of those behavioral incentive things. If the kids do certain things, things happen and they get a chance to be a Panda 200 winner. If you're a winner you get to do things like eat pizza for lunch with the principal etc. This time the activity was sledding followed by hot chocolate and cookies. So I got paid to go sledding and consume sugar with kids. I don't think I can ever say it enough - I love my job. Look how much fun we had!


This picture makes me feel old. But then I remember that I went sledding and crashed with the kids. I even had to tell some of the kids to chill out and just have fun, so I don't feel that old.







Even the principal got in on the action!



MMmmmmm....Hot chocolate and cookies.

And this last one is of an animal figurine that sits in the Read Naturally lab. They told me they named it after me. Normally I'd feel honored. But with this guy I just wonder, "Why did they name the goofy, psychotic-pink, pseudo-pooping bunny after me?"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me want to work at your school. Do they have any openings? Because I want to go sledding today.

Lindsey said...

Hee hee...kids are silly! I didn't realize you were teaching, but it seems to suit you very well! Glad you are loving your job!

Tara said...

Well, it is pink...

And I'm thinking that you should live it up and love your job while it lasts. Once you become a REAL teacher, its just not going to be that much fun. Really. I'm sad to say it, but REALLY.

And btw, my friend Erin read your blog and is now utilizing "Chill Points" in her 1st grade classroom. You're making waves, my friend!

Tammy Barnett said...

Hey Buddy-
Great pictures! I hope the school and the kids know how lucky they are to have you!! I'm so glad you are having such a great time! Keep the pictures coming!!
As for the pink bunny?? I would be worried!

Leah said...

Dear Greg,
Please inform your parents that I need to be invited to their blog.

Love,
Leah
PS You should take those kids to a pretzel making factory. Or at least to that pretzel place in the mall.