Thursday, January 24, 2008

Life and Times

Reason 2938 Erik is my favorite student -  I was helping in their classroom just before lunch.  They were working on an art project and I was practicing MBWA (I did learn something in college!).  In my lack of alternative activities I started singing the Fraggle Rock theme song.  Much to my surprise Erik joined right in.  Words, tune, even the claps.  I love that kid.

Ashley, in the 3rd grade, has a boyfriend named Trenton - also in the 3rd grade.  He's the same kid who zealously questioned the christianity of his classroom.  I found out about Ashley's BF from a coworker.  Shortly thereafter I saw Ashley in the hall and said, "Ashley, you have a boyfriend?"  To which she replied, "Keep it shut!" and abashedly headed back to class.  I said, "Who is it?"  She looked put out, but in an amused way and said, "T-R-E-N-T-O-N."  Both of them could do better, but they're in 3rd grade, so really...

I almost said something to Ashley about her lack of respect, but then again, I initiated the conversation and clearly it was instituted as a friend-to-friend interaction, not a teacher-student interaction, so I couldn't exactly blame her.  Besides, I was highly amused by the whole thing.

I had a boy talk with some of the 3rd grade boys. They were wrestling at recess and I noticed that they were kicking, so I said to them, "Hey guys, let's have a talk. It's probably OK that you're wrestling. I'm not gonna say it's OK, but I won't stop you. However, kicking is never OK." At this point a couple of girls had joined in on the lecture, so I told them they needed to leave cause we had to talk about boy stuff. I continued, "There are certain parts of your body that don't respond well to kicking." One young man chimed in with, "Yeah, like your wiener." I acquiesced. Anyway, we had a good chat, and I think they'll be OK.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You're a good man, Mr. B. Those kids now know not to kick each others' weiners. Who else could have taught them that?

The Downs Family said...

Aren't little people the best?

Anonymous said...

I just have to say that "wiener," in the hot dog OR anatomical sense, is probably the funniest word in existence. :-)

I'm Batman said...

I have to agree with you Greg. i concur that wieners are not conducive to kicking. Ever.

Leah said...

Any post with the word wiener in it will get an audible laugh out of me, any time. Just for future reference...

Tammy Barnett said...

Greg-
You are such a good teacher. Teaching those little boys not to kick. Little kids are so great aren't they??