Monday, October 22, 2007

Friendship et. al.

From A Thousand Splendid Suns:

"In that week, Laila came to believe that of all the hardships a person had to face none was more punishing than the simple act of waiting."

How true. It really is torture sometimes.

"How many times had she, Hasina, and Giti said those same three words to each other, Laila wondered, said it without hesitation, after only two or three days of not seeing each other? I missed you, Hasina. Oh, I missed you too. In Tariq's grimace, Laila learned that boys differed from girls in this regard. They didn't make a show of friendship. They felt no urge, no need, for this sort of talk. Laila imagined it had been this way for her brothers too. Boys, Laila came to see, treated friendship the way they treated the sun: its existence undisputed; its radiance best enjoyed, not beheld directly."

In this regard I think I'm more like a girl. I see friendship more like the moon. Something to be enjoyed directly. One should bask in the beauty and marvel at the wonder of every change and phase. Even the not-so-pleasant changes.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I loved you explanation on how men & women view friendships. It is so true! My friendships are so important to me!
Love you!
Mom