Thursday, October 25, 2007

A little class

Update!!! Here are some entertaining happenings from my life...with some other stuff.

First and foremost, the job hunt continues. I've applied for several things, but nothing has really gone anywhere yet. I'm going to be an extra in a movie on Monday, but other than that, I don't have much. If I wanted a career in sales I'm sure I'd have a job by now (though if I really wanted a career in sales, I'd probably still have a job in the first place.) I'm considering doing an alternate route to licensure to get a teaching certificate and then becoming either an upper-level elementary teacher, i.e. 3-6 grade, or a High School teacher - drama/English/Spanish, something along those lines. Until then I guess I'll just keep subbing and looking.

Today I did initiatory work at the temple and one of the workers was very hearty in his "Amens." It made me laugh every time he said it. Always with such gusto.

Then I went to two very different, yet equally enjoyable classes.

First was institute. This is the first time I've been to an institute class in almost a year. I loved it! We talked about the Abrahamic covenant, and it was just amazing. I loved being immersed in the scriptures, I loved learning new things (i.e. in Malachi when it talks about "the fathers" it's not necessarily talking about our ancestors. "The Fathers" is a title for Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph (D&C 27:10) - interesting.), I loved the feeling. And it wasn't even false-doctrine preaching, super Mormon institute either. It was very spiritual and very Christ-centered. It made me want to take an institute class every day. But as my schedule is rather erratic, that's not going to happen.

My second class was a hip-hop cardio class at the gym. So much fun! I don't know that I'm really cut out to be a hip-hop dancer, but it was fun anyway. I think in the event that I ever memorize the dance it might actually look pretty cool...after some tweaking to make it my own. As of now, though, I kind of just look like a scrawny white kid who happens to have a little rhythm, but it was still SO MUCH FUN!!!! I love dancing. Love it! I could do it all day. And sometimes I do.

The other day I was teaching 3rd grade and one of the students asked, "How many girlfriends have you had?" I replied, "Two." He said, "What the heck is wrong with you? I've had like 14." I like how something must be wrong with me since I've only had 2 girlfriends. Though when I thought about it in the terms he's thinking, I counted and I've actually had 7, so eat that Mr. 9-year-old!

At the mall I was accosted by a very gay foreign man who proceeded to subtly insult me while exfoliating my wrist. I just had to laugh and refuse to buy his product. I hate sales-y people...and then I found $20...

5 comments:

Tara said...

You are a delight. And I imagined you giving a hearty French-like laugh after the $20 line and it brought back lovely memories :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like quite an eventful couple of days. Oh, and I think you would be a fantastic teacher.

Anonymous said...

The items in this blog further illustrate and confirm every reason why I adore you. :-)

richbarn said...

School teacher huh? WOW what a GREAT idea. You'd be sooooo entirely incredible. And talk about making a difference. There's nothing and I mean nothing like seeing a student come to an understanding of a new concept. Yep that's Greg molding the new breed. O.K. so perhaps that visual is a tiny bit frightening.

Leah said...

I hope I have a dream about you and me in a hip hop cardio class together and I hope in the morning Dylan tells me I was laughing all night in my sleep.