Monday, February 25, 2008

Feast

In one third grade class I'm helping the kids read a book.  I was reviewing what we'd read last week.  We were talking about a cookie purchase that one of the characters had made and I asked the kids what kind of cookies they were.  One boy said, "100% good."

A boy made a game of head-butting me in the stomach.  The third time he did it he said, "Ow, that hurt.  You have tight abs."  Totally made my day.

Man, when it rains it pours.  All of the following happened in one day:

I was singing while helping my first graders and one of them said, "I bet my dad could do that, but he's dead."

One of the other first graders proposed.

I thought about accepting the proposal after this:  I was sending a text message and one girl asked, "Who are you texting, your wife?"  Without missing a beat another girl said, "You know he doesn't have anybody."  Heartbreak.

We were working on "og" family words i.e. dog, hog, smog, etc.  They were supposed to write a sentence about a frog and a dog.  The first sentence to be created - The dog peed on the frog.

A third grader said to me, "Do you know who the coolest person in this school is, boy or girl?"  Jokingly I replied, "Uh, me!"  And she said, "yep."  Heartwarming.

I jumped rope today with the third grade girls.  They were all impressed.

Yesterday I was working with the first graders on the "it" word family i.e. sit, bit, hit etc.  You can imagine the sorts of fun we had there.  The following were added to the beginning of "it" - t, sh, cl.  Most of the time I just said those weren't words, and laughed on the inside.

The pictures submitted, along with their accompanying stories will be forthcoming shortly.

7 comments:

Charisse Baxter said...

You are SO the coolest... and I'm betting you have the best K-5 fan base EVER. (You should totally go on tour with Hannah Montana. You're cool enough.)
Hilarious... I honestly did laugh out loud when I got your text, and then I had to read it to the office, and they laughed too. You touch so many lives!
I emailed you some pictures... I know they're late (sorry!) but I hope you have time for a story there...

Tammy said...

I can't wait to hear the stories with the pictures. Aren't kids hilarious!! I miss you!

Lindsey said...

hee hee - I actually laughed out loud on this post! good times! Thanks for the reassurance that those guys do still exist (i mean, besides you, of course) :)

Unknown said...

My mom told me about the "-it" day. I laughed then and I laughed again now. Thank you for being a constant source of delight in my life.

Kristylee said...

Your blog is always so much fun to read, even if I didn't know you I would have to tune in once in awhile for a good laugh. I love it!

Anonymous said...

For lack of a better comment, this blog worked for me on every level today. Thanks. :-)

Leah said...

I love it. I love when kids learn that "banana nana fo fog" song and make cuss words.