Sunday, February 10, 2008

I was meant for the stage.

The following conversation with a 2nd grader has been translated into English and paraphrased for your convenience:

2G - Can I ask you a question? ...are you a woman?
Mr. B - Uh...No.  Clearly I'm a man.  Why?
2G - Well, because my cousin is gay...and a woman at the same time.

I really didn't know how to process all of that.  I wasn't sure if she thought I was gay or what.  And I really don't know why she thought I was a woman...

A friend of mine recently sent me a text message saying, "It's 72 degrees here. I love where I live." He lives in Southern California. I was almost jealous, but then I remembered that I get to do cool things like going sledding with elementary school kids - which I got to do again on Friday - and realized that I too love where I live.

Lend Me a Tenor has officially come to and end. It's always a mixture of feelings when a show is over. I think for this one it was more a sad thing than a happy thing. Sure I'll have a greater level of sanity, and hopefully a little more free time, but I had so much fun with this show. Honestly it was a blast. It was great to work with so many professional and talented people. I think I laughed every single night I was at the theater - and that was just backstage. Between the stories we shared, the funny moments that we laughed about, and the cast prayers where we would end up in tears by the end because we were laughing so hard, there was never a dull moment.

And being on stage is...well...it's intoxicating. Even after six weeks of performing the same show I wasn't tired of it. In fact the very last show was one of the best of the entire run. All of us were on top of our game, and the audience was incredible. It's like a drug. Nothing makes me happier than making other people laugh.

On that note - I auditioned for Annie Get Your Gun and I made it. I'm part of the general ensemble. That's like being "3rd guy from the left" or whoever. I guess I also get to be the prop master of "Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show." From what I understand that's a little bit part/cameo that has some potential to be kind of funny. Should be a good time. It's less pressure anyway. And with a cameo I can do my best to steal the show. ;) I'll post more details about dates etc. when more info becomes available.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

So sad it's over, but on to the next adventure! You really were so great and you have always been so talented. That must be amazing to truly share & develop your talents!

The Downs Family said...

Congrats on Annie- I loved doing that show- it was a good one- You'll be awesome.

Sometimes I miss being on stage. I watched the ONE VOICE concert from our senior year and I again was wishing I could be on stage with my ol' pals and just touch someone through the arts. *sigh*

Vee said...

Hi I stumbled on to your blog from Annie's blog-
Had to tell you I really enjoy it!
I work with kids too some of your stories had me LOLing!