Thursday, February 14, 2008

San Valentino

Everyone else did it, so I figured I'd add my two cents about Valentine's Day.

Recently I've come under the opinion that Valentine's is great - a day to celebrate love in all its forms. Then, I did some research and found that no, in fact, Valentine's Day is a day to celebrate romantic love - leaving all of us poor saps who don't have that, out in the cold. I think we should petition for a redefinition of the day. If it's really all about romantic love, why do first graders have Valentine's parties?

I think maybe I'll just keep my slightly misguided view of V-day in tact. That makes it more fun. Then I can celebrate with friends, family, the human race...and my first graders. Plus, I think V-day is a lot more enjoyable when one isn't bitter and resentful.

I had a blast at school today. My first graders noticed my birthmark the other day (a white patch of hair on the back of my head, for those who don't know me) and asked why I don't dye it. I told them that I used to color it with markers in high school and they said I should do that again. So today I colored it pink.

I got several valentines from students today. One was a reminder that we do, in fact, teach on the West Side of the valley - and I wouldn't have it any other way:

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Greg-
I totally agree with you about valentines. I think it should be not just a romantic holiday, but for all those people in our lives we love and cherish!! I want to see a pictures of your pink patch!!

Arianne said...

Sweet card. I want one.

Kristylee said...

Just thought I would let you in on a little secret. Valentine's day means nothing when you have a Valentine... last year we got each other new carpet. This year I got a back stratcher (which don't worry, I asked for) and he got tickets to the Jazz. Nothing romantic at all. Most couples I know don't do anything, so enjoy the hype while you've got it.

Anonymous said...

Greg,
I have to agree with you about redefining Valentine's Day! Perhaps we can start a revolution.