Thursday, February 7, 2008

I was only acting...

Ok, so I really have two jobs at the moment, though one of them is more just for fun. I do get paid for it, however, so I guess technically it's a job. And just as much entertaining stuff happens in that job as in my day-job. It's my play, for those who aren't diggin' my ambiguity. And I thought that I might share a couple of experiences from that one too.

Just a couple of moments that have brought me great joy -

There's a part in the play where one of the characters is thought to be dead. It's always interesting to hear what patrons will say not-so-quietly in reference to this event. One woman, when she found out that the guy was "dead" simply said, "Oh shit."

For those of you who know me, or really who've ever even met me, you know that I'm not really all that athletic. Hand-eye coordination and I aren't the best of friends. I'm good at things like punting, and horse-back riding. Well, there's a part in the show where one character throws me a wine bottle. The guy I usually act with is facing me when this happens, so it's easy enough. The other guy throws it over his back. Usually this isn't a problem because I can catch pretty well with both hands. However, the other night he misjudged where I was standing and the bottle started flying away from me. I sort of lunged toward the spot where it was going to land, shatter, and cause mayhem, and caught it by the neck of the bottle. I was completely surprised and delighted. I also heard some sounds of surprise and delight from the audience, which made me realize that not only was is awesome for me, but was pretty cool in general. Good times.

I really love acting. Honestly it's my passion. And I'm good at it. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I think it's asinine to have a talent and be shy about recognizing it. I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to make money doing two things I love so much.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that it's liberating to be able to just come out and declare what you are good at without being shy, or worrying about people thinking that you're arrogant. That said, I would like to publicly declare that I am good at bunnies!

PS; a blog this funny doesn't have enough comments.

Unknown said...

You're right, you are good at it! Go you!

Greg D said...

My anonymous friend, I couldn't agree more - on all counts.

Anonymous said...

Remember when Matt Dickerson had a "high self-esteem" club? I'm glad that you can be confident without being creepy. :-)

Max Power said...

Who votes that Mr. B is actually Anonymous in the first comment here? :P

Tara said...

Me. I vote yes to that idea, Max :D

Greg D said...

Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence guys... :(