Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I'm good at lightning

My boss informed me at recess that she occasionally has themed Family Home Evenings with her family.  She kept telling the children that were surrounding us to go away and walk back in a minute.  This was to inform me that one of her themed FHE's was about masturbation.  I almost lost it.  She said, "It's amazing how you can make the hymns apply..."  She told me that for treats they eat twinkies and snowballs.  Great idea.

I love how easy friendship is for children.  There's nothing complicated about it - you're just friends.  There's no worrying about give and take, you just treat them like a friend because that's all they are.  Plain and simple.  I wish it was that easy in adulthood.

One of the learning centers in the first grade classroom I help out in consists of a series of cards with phrases such as "I like___", "I'm good at ___", or "I'm not afraid of ___".  These are accompanied by another series of cards with words like "ice cream",  "soccer", and "lightning".  Today my favorite first grade sentences include - "I'm good at bunnies." and "I'm not afraid of Jupiter."

P to the S - Ms. Larson is the coolest 6th grade teacher I know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am way afraid of Jupiter! That swirling red spot totally stares at me in my nightmares! :-D

Tara said...

For my part, I'm not afraid of ice cream. I welcome it in as an important part of my life, actually.

Love your blogs, my friend!!