Friday, July 13, 2007

Harry Potterific

Well I've been in England for a few days and it's been rather adventureous, to be sure.

Before the overview I have good news, and bad news. The good news is that the euro-mullet is alive and thriving here in the UK. The bad news is that I never have my camera out and ready when they appear, so I haven't been able to update the mulletin board. With any luck, though, I'll get a shot in the next couple of days.

Monday I had the pleasure of being exposed to all the travesties of Baliwood and Indian cuisine airline style on our flight to England.

Tuesday we toured a bit of Oxford. Mostly we were just trying to stay awake so that we could overcome the jetlag that night.

Wednesday we went to Bath where we sampled some rather disgusting natural hot spring water and saw a rather drunk Nicholas Cage wearing an atrocious lime-green sport coat.

Today we saw the new Harry Potter movie. It was actually really good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. My dear friend Mark says that Helena Bonham Carter stole the show as Bellatrix Lestrange. And though she was good, I must heartily disagree. First she wasn't in the show enough to steal it. Secondly the delightful quirkiness of the young miss Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood was practically the only thing worth watching at certain points. She made my day. The classic Harry Potter characters were also at the top of their games - as far as the adults are concerned anyhow. And Imelda Staunton as Delores Umbridge was nothing short of brilliant. And that, my friends, is my humble, yet accurate, opinion.

After the movie we went for tea and scones at the oldest coffee house in Europe. They've been serving coffee for almost 400 years:

Our tea was accompanied by the largest bowl of potpourri in existence.


Here are some other pictures from my trip so far this week. The first is of the picturesque countryside. Well, really, it's Mariah and I taking mock-engagement photos in the picturesque scenery. This is followed by one of said photos also containing creepy Keith in the background. I think we could write a novel based on this picture.



















The other two are just cool pictures that I like. They're of us during a walk through the park. After traipsing about the countryside for a couple of days I've decided that I would love to move here. However, I'd only really like it if all my favorite people could be here with me. One day perhaps I'll fly everyone out to England for a trip. We'll go to Bath and have Sally Lunn buns at the famous Sally Lunn house. That would be delightful.



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Greg, my most fabulous cousin and soon to be roommate... I am so glad you are having a most excellent time in England. I do miss you, though. Anyway, it's 3:30 in the morning and I'm at work so I apologize if this doesn't make any sense. Oh, I also jumped on the blogger bandwagon...you should check it out.( http://selkiepunk.blogspot.com/ ) Much love!

Anonymous said...

Greg

Glad to hear you're having such a good time. Just got home from mom's family reunion at Gooseberry. It was a nice, if extremely laid back, weekend. Everyone sat around weaving boondoggle for 2 days while Andrew reminded us that he's 21 and doesn't need to be told what or how or when or why on a regular basis. Have some fish and chips for me.

Later dad

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Luna Lovegood comment. I would move to England with you. And count me in for going to any store with the word "Bun" in it. :-)

Janell R. Cropper said...

I have to agree with ya Greg. Dolores Umbridge was brillant. I wasn't sure if I wanted to pull her hair more in the movie or the book. And yes, Luna was great as well!

Leah said...

I don't know which is a creepier background: the potpourri or the dude. I'm leaning toward the former.