Wednesday, July 4, 2007

4th Dimension

I traveled to my hometown for the 4th of July, and that's like traveling to a different world, not just a different state or country, so I figured it merited a post.

The 4th of July festivities back home have always intrigued me. They consist of the following: Starting at 7:30 in the morning there is a 5k run. Then the parade - one of the longest in creation - followed by activities on the park. These activities include, but are not limited to local entertainment (Hooray for my little sister singing, and the local fiddle group), a fishing booth, navajo tacos, the pentawhirl, deep fried twinkies, and the diaper derby. Everything wraps up about 1:30 with the culminating event of the day - the 4ht of July Fish Grab. Then everything is kind of dead until the fireworks at night.

Here was my involvement in those activities -

I ran the 5k. Now, those of you that know me well are probably thinking "What?!?! What on earth possessed you to get up at the crack of dawn to do something athletic?" I know, I know. Well it's one of life's little twists. I've been running lately, and my Dad invited me along, so I went. It was actually kind of fun. I came in 111th out of 133, which should set things back into normalcy for those of you who thought hell had frozen over. I did beat my Dad. And I came in right behind John Beck - the BYU quarterback. If I'd have known it was him before the race started, I would have tried harder. I also beat the mom with the stroller, so I was feeling pretty good.

We watched the parade - all 2 hours of it. Pointless, but it's a tradition. The following was my favorite entry from the parade:


I think I'll make a game out of it. Whoever can tell me what's wrong with this picture first - I realize there are many things wrong with this picture, but the main thing - gets a cookie. Those who were there don't get to play - sorry.

After the parade we spent a wonderful morning/afternoon on the city park. I had a fried twinky - which was delightful BTW. I saw some old friends. I even had the pleasure of observing the crazy kid from my high school class still being crazy. And I don't mean cool crazy, I mean creepy crazy. Some things never change.

And the culminating event of the day was, of course, the Fish Grab. Now you can't really tell from the video, but the little pools are filled with trout. I'm sure PETA would have a hey-day with this one:




Then it was time for a float down the canal. I didn't contract giardia, and there were only a few dead animals joining us, so it was a good day. It was very cold though, despite the infernal temperatures of the air. I think my body temperature was lowered a degree or two. I took a hot shower and wrapped up in a blanket for about a half an hour before I felt warm again. Good times in the canal.

The rest of the day was filled with movies, ice cream, impromptu meals, a nap and watching the fairly mediocre fireworks show from the roof of my parent's house. It really was a great day.

I love quirky small-town holidays. In my home town, everyone comes back for the 4th of July. My ten-year reunion will actually take place over the 4th in a number of years. I probably won't be married, so just to cause scandal and feed the rumor mill I'm thinking of either borrowing a baby from a friend and pretending to be a single father, or bringing a male friend and being conspicuously ambiguous about the nature of our relationship.

8 comments:

Katie said...

Oh the memories of the 4th of July in Richfield.... Wow! I totally related, especially with the poor kids in the Fish Grab... not once in all the years did I ever get a fish... o'well!!

Michael would never go to a class reunion, so we should go together, think of how thrown of Paige would be...haha Just kidding!

I'm Batman said...

it's spelled skolarships. i bet he feels like an idiot

Daniels' Daze said...

Loved the summary of 4th of July in Richfield. I was kind of missing it, but then you reminded me why I didn't...miss some of the people though. Thanks for sharing and I get a kick out of your blog....Katie's mom

Tara said...

The misspelling is nothing compared to the antlers on the front and the teal shirt with a VEST. Sheesh...

And thanks for the fish video--I'd always wanted a viewing of this weird-o Event :)

Leah said...

Oh, man. Oh, man, oh, man, oh, man. Are there only 3 American flags on there? Because there should be at least 7 if he's going to be doing any real sc(k)olarship work today. Honestly, where has this country's patrioticism gone?

I'm Batman said...

Those horrid plastic Aussie hats and black shorts that were a little too short.not to mention the weird blender thing that we did that oine summer with all of the left over fruit.

Janell R. Cropper said...

Grego, I think your video of the fish grab just made my day! Good times! I think the 4th in Richfield is the best..even though the fireworks left much to be desired this year.

Anonymous said...

My favorite part about the picture: the antlers.

My favorite part about the video clip: the shrieking of the children coupled with the laughter of the parents.

My favorite part of the blog: Feeding the rumor mill at your ten year reunion.

Yay for you. :-D